Help with API T.C. Tetracycline?

Nov 20, 2011
Hi, I have a planted 55 gallon tank with 13 neon tetras, 4 platties, 2 snails, 1 Chinese algae eater, and 1 gold gourami. I noticed one of my platties had fin rot but I couldn't get to a pet store in time to get anything to cure him. Shortly after he died I noticed another fish had died and I guessed because of fin rot. So today I went to Petsmart and told them my situation and asked what they would recommend. They told me to get API T.C Tetracycline, I spent my last 15 dollars on this stuff. I got home and started reading the directions. I was supposed to buy 2 boxes of this stuff for the full treatment, I couldn't of done that anyways because of how expensive it was. I went ahead and put 5 packets in my tank. After I put it in there is this awful foam on the top of the tank, my water is now yellow, and it smells very badly. I noticed a change in one of my snails, he just started floating. I don't know if that is normal for snails but it scared me. I put my 2 snails and algae eater in a 5 gallon quarantine tank and they are now doing fine. I have a 28 inch air stone bubble wall thing so there is plenty of aeration and I removed all carbon. My real question is can I do my weekly water change tomorrow, I always do it on Mondays, and not put anymore packets in? I am not impressed with this stuff and wish I could go get my money back. The package is awful, it doesn't say what to expect or what fish not to use it with and I can't find any information online. I am also worried about my plants, it doesn't say anything about plants so I am hoping that they will be okay. Sorry for such a long question but I really don't know what to do. :confused:

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I wish I could be of help. Sorry for the loss of your 3 fish. Generally, the rule of thumb with antibiotics is to use the full dose for the full amount of time to insure that all the bacteria are killed, otherwise you run the risk of the bacteria becoming resistant to the med.
The being said, I've never used the stuff. I use an increase in temp and the addition of salt with a heavier course of water changes to take care of stuff like that. It has just been recently that I used a general "cure-all" type tablet by tetra to take care of some fungus on one of my fish. (which I just noticed has not really worked). do t they have a customer service number listed? Api is supposedly one of the better treatment manufacturers. They may be able to help you over the phone at least in knowing what the water should look and smell like.
Good luck!

Jan 16, 2016

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
An established tank with fish should never stink, nor should your filtration media. If it does stink, you're not keeping up with proper water changes. Weekly water changes of 50% or more is typical and absolutely needed for most tanks.

May 7, 2016
I am using this med also. i read up on several forums before using it. a lot of them said it would turn the water yellow and there was something you could add to clear it after. im not too worried about it yet. I didnt write it down and cant find the site I saw the info on. I assume the water is a little smelly since i had to remove the carbon filter. on the 3rd treatment for my gourami so hoping it works :(