Help!! What's wrong with my gourami??

Riss

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Brisbane, Australia
Hi,

I just bought 4 blue gouramis, and when i put them in the tank, I noticed one had no feelers. So we named him stumpy. Anyway...lately stumpy has been acting really weird. He just sits at the top of the water, and then swims and lays on the gravel. When we come up to him, he swims away fine and normal, but then just goes back to the bottom and lays there.

The water is fine, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. pH 7.2, all the other fish are fine and healthy. In fact they are trying to mate already! I just dont know what to do. When I feed the fish, he swims to the top, and looks like he is going to eat, but then he just sits at the surface. So i took him out and put him in a little tank so I could feed him by himself but he still wouldn't eat!!!

I dont have the heart to get rid of stumpy, but I dont want him to die in the tank. He looks healthy, apart from not having feelers. Should I take him back to the aquarium shop?  :(

Any information would be great!!

Thanx

aidanchick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would take him back to the store personally, just as long as you still have the recipt, and that it has'nt been a long time since you bought the fish.

But if he's not eating that is not really a good sign. In my opinion he is'nt doing to well, maybe he will change and turn out to be a totally healthy fish... :)

I once bought a small orange/red tail shark .. he was like only 2cm long... he was missing all of his left fins... I returned him, it was way to sad to see him like that....