help w/ new tank

jeromegsp

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2003
tx
Visit site
i just got a 10 gallon kit for 25.00 comes w/ heater light and pump its one of those top fin ones i thought was a pretty good one n e ways question is could i fit 2 dwarf puffers and 2 neon tetras? got some fake plants (not ready for real ones yet) and lots of little decor for hiding spots

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
I also have a top fin 10g. If you look in my sig you will see that I have a dwarf puffer in mine. I originally started with two puffers but they fought and one of them died within a few days:( . If you want dwarf puffers then only get one. Great little fish! They won't eat flake food so you will need frozen food. I feed mine bloodworms. As for other fish, neons like to be in schools so you should get like 5-7. They will all be very happy in a 10g if you make sure the neons don't eat the food before the puffer gets some (puffers are slow eaters). Lots of plants is a good idea. Add a floating plant or two because puffers like to "sleep" at night. They really just hide in the plants all night and then come out when the lights come on.

One last thing. Be sure to cycle it. I strongly recommend fishless cycling. My 29g is almost done!

Good luck with the puffers!:)

jeromegsp

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2003
tx
Visit site
sweet from what i'm told if i get 1 male and female not much fight happens (hoping some dwarf puffer loving takes place) the deal i got was such a cheap deal i went out and got 2nd 10 gallon proably just gonna do fishless cycle than leave it at till and hoping my puffers breed could be the small fry tank heh

jeromegsp

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2003
tx
Visit site
yea i found a site in this forum how someone got theirs to mate a male has a light brown line under his belly when hes ready to mate line shows up more hes also slender the the female, the female vice versa does not have the light brown line is more rounder than male hope that helps

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Dwarf puffers are one of the few freshwater puffers. I have had one in a 10g with some tetras for around 8 months now with no problems at all.

I guess I won't be able to tell if my puffer is male or female. Oh well. He (or she) is still very cool.