HELP! Something wrong with Betta

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
My betta has been in my new tank about 4 days now and has been fine - suddenly this morning I turn the light on and his fins are all stuck down to his body not all flared out like usual. What's wrong with him ????

I just gave him a couple betta bio gold pellets... he ate just one but at least he is eating.

Update:

I turned the filter off for a bit because I thought that might be bugging him, but I just turned it back on because I was informed that it will cause oxygen depletion in the water.

All tank parameters were normal except GH and KH which were low.

The tank is a marineland pillar tank 6 gallons came with its own filter which I put on lowest setting. I tried to give him another pellet but he didn't want it this time.

His fins do NOT look good.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
What is your water temp? and exactly what are the numbers for your ammonia and nitrite? Without any other info I would do a 50% water change being careful not to cause any sudden temp change. Bettas are normally pretty hardy fish. I suppose it is possible he is an older fish, but there is no way to tell.

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
My water temp is 78. I don't know exact parameters, will have to get back on that one ...

I think a water change at this point would stress him out more ... he's only been in there 4 days with a filter and heater so there should not be any need for a water change ...

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You could do a water change, even if you only change out a gallon - I don't think that would stress him. Does he swim up to get the pellet?

Looks like his coloration is still the same - not like he's faded or anything.

Last edited:

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
He swam up for one pellet but let the other ones float on by.

Now he is just sitting at the bottom of the tank. If I only change a gallon how much prime do I put in after? I don't want to overdose.

Edit: if I run out of betta pellets and have to use reg. fish flake, how much flake would I give him per day? I fed him with flakes for his first 3 days here because I did not have betta food and am worried that is the issue.

Last edited:

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
I realized I over fed using flakes the past 3 days.

Just did a gallon water change and used the rock sucker thingy to clean out excess food hiding in the gravel.

Feb 27, 2009
If I only change a gallon how much prime do I put in after? I don't want to overdose.
Two drops of Prime per 1 gallon of water. Far better to treat the water first, then add it to the betta's tank, than to add chlorinated water and dechlorinate it with the fish (and beneficial bacteria) in the tank.