help! please somebody

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Elbow grease and manual labor.

The "bleached white" look for marine fish-only systems, isn't the healiest. Algae growing on decor is good, an over abundance of algae needs scraped off with an aglea pad, and the stuff on the gravel can be stirred up and removed by sweeping a brine shrimp net through the tank. Algae doesn't need to be fixed, it just needs a little control now and again. A little algae growth is beneficial when it is removing nitrates from your water. It gets bad when it grows in such profusion you can't see your fish in the tank!

Might sound extensive for a 55 gallon, but it is the best way.

The next best thing is only if your biological capacity can handle it. Try a Kole (aka Yellow-eyed) Tang, they're pretty good at cleaning off algae. Yellow Tangs are also good. DO NOT HOUSE MORE THAN ONE TANG TOGETHER. A Lawnmower Blenny may also help. DO NOT HAVE MORE THAN ONE LAWNMOWER BLENNY IN THE TANK.  But sometimes algae grows faster than the fish can keep up with it, so they would need assistance with manual labor.

If you have no inverts of the coral or anemonea kind, turn off your lighting.  Light is the #1 cause of large scale algae outbreaks, with nutrient overload #2.  The only time the hood lamp needs to be on in a fish-only system is for viewing and feeding. Move the tank out of any direct sunlight or out of any especially bright rooms for that will also cause algae growth.  

If you have the availiability, people have also recommened turbo snails for marine algae control. I have never had success with keeping them alive so I don't know. Some may also reccommend hermit crabs. ALL INVERTS DO REQUIRE SOME SPECIAL CARE SO RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL.

If all else fails you can use a commercial algaecide, but this may do more harm than good. Commercial algaecides will keep your tank looking sparkling brand new "bleached" white, but unfortunately it may posion your fish when used incorrectly. Saltwater fish may prove to be especially sensitive to this type of treatment so I don't recommend it. You will never be able to have invertebrates in your tank if you use a commercial algaecide.
~~Colesea