Help! Now he's stopped eating!

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
My Gsp from the thread "Green Spotted Puffer Spinning" has stopped eating.
He looked so much better and things were going well, but yesterday he stopped eating. He's already skin and bones. Please help! Is there anything I can do?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Can you update on what has happened to him since your last post? What has he been doing? What have you been doing for him? What has improved, what hasn't. Any new symptoms?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Did you give him anti-parasite medicine? If he's losing weight that fast from not eating for 2 days, he probably has parasites. What were you trying to feed him that he wouldn't eat?

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner. Just a few minutes after I posted, the little guy died.

I'm absolutley heart broken.

I may end up with another one, I'm not sure yet. My idiot friend's husband went and bought another one from Walmart. She is thinking of telling him it died and just giving him to me. I told her I want to see this one first, I'm pretty nervous about getting another one. Of course I have the tank and supplies now. We'll see.

I did treat him for parasites, it seemed to really help. All the black smudges had disappeared. He was eating frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Just all of a sudden he went down hill fast.

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
oh nooooo! :( :(
I'm so sorry. He was very lucky to find his way to you tho, and not someone who would have just flushed him. You did a great job trying to save him.*thumbsups

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
Sorry to read about your loss. He was lucky to have had an owner like you, tho. I have gotten on my soap-box about Walmart's GSP's before. I adopted one, and he's doing quite well, but last time I was there they had a ten gallon tank with about twentyfive of the little guys, absolutely no decor, and they were all soooo sad.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Sheesh, I say rescue the new one from your friend ASAP before it has a chance to go downhill again. WalMart is really irresponsible for selling "advanced" fish to people with fish bowls.

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
I rescued the other little GSP from her. He looks pretty well, she said walmart was unbagging them when her husband bought him 2 days ago. He is a little discolored. (stress), but he looks really healthy. He has a healthy looking belly, the other one never did. I just fed him some frozen bloodworms, and I swear he was licking his lips.

His water salinity right now is at 1.000, I'll get it to 1.010 gradually with water changes. I took over my smallest fancy goldfish for her 2 gallon bowl. I think he'll do really well there. Plus her hubby won't be able to get another GSP. I tested the water in her goldfish bowl. 7.5 ph, ammonia is high also. She was still using tropical salt which the goldfish will love. I did make her change a 1/2 gallon before I put the goldfish in. Anyway, I'll try to get pictures later today to post.

Again, thankyou all.

This is a great forum!

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Sheesh, tell her about doing regular water changes, Goldfish are messy!

FYI: Some people will be blasting you on here for putting a goldfish in a 2gal bowl, but IMO if the option was for the hubby to buy another puffer which is completely unsuited for a bowl or a goldfish which will live ok in there, I think you did the right thing. Just make sure she knows how much water she needs to change out every week.