Help!!!my goldfish dissapeared

Nov 12, 2012
Hello,i'm pretty new and i have a problem with my female livebearer goldfish.I bought her from a shop along with 2 other male fish.I put them in my medium fishbowl.There were some shells and a big shell with a big hole inside,big enough for a pregnant goldfish to fit inside.I cleaned their water on the 2nd day,and on the 3rd my small fish died(probably out of stress since he was suffering from a lot of stress the first day) and we threw him in the toilet.Then my mum came and said that our livebearer dissapeared.We toke off all the blue rocks,searched all the shells,looked all inside the fishbowl,but no sign of her.I thought she might of jumped behind the drawer but it's impossible since our fishbowl's hole is too small.I dont have any cats.I decided to put my male black fish in a jar for safety and im returning him to the shop tomorrow along with the food.But still,where can she be?We didnt have any worms in the fishbowl either.:(

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Perhaps you should do some research before getting any more fish. Goldfish are not suitable for bowls - they can get pretty big and need a tank of at least 20 gallons for one goldfish and 10 gallons more for each additional gold fish. I don't know how they do it, but fish can get out of pretty small holes. I found a fish outside my tank after going through a hole only about an inch square. Then there is cycling a tank to consider and you need to read up on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so you can keep your fish healthy. There is a lot of information on this site, it you will take a little time to research and read - and then if you don't understand something - please ask questions. And welcome to this forum!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i catch creek chubs for flathead fishing and i put them in a 5 gallon bucket that used to have hydrolic fluid in it. the lid of the bucket has a spout with a hole a little larger then an inch. and even with an air line going into the hole they still can jump out. in about 4 hours i had 6 dead chubs on the ground around the bucket. i learned i had to put a paper towel in the hole to keep them in. i honestly think they can aim for stuff like that if they realy want to get out of a small space. and even with fish tanks with hoods i find the occational fish laying behind the tank or in one case i had one jump on me when it jumped out of the tank next to my couch. and as thyra stated a bowl is to small for pretty much any fish shy of a betta and even then they should be in a tank and not a bowl.