Help! I need protein skimmer advice

dnn511

New Fish
Apr 20, 2013
I have a 45 Gallon tank, the filter was given to me by my brother in law. Pleased forgive me if I don't know the proper filter terminology. I am new to the salt water tank game. I would like to add a protein skimmer to my tank. The filter has a bucket that is placed in my cabinet under the tank, the sump bucket? While trying to research and learn about protein skimmers, it seems that the best skimmers are the in-sump style. So here is my problem. The filter brand is called sea reef, and the sump bucket is divided into 2 halves. It has those "blue balls" on one side of the bucket, and I have the pump with bags of carbon on the other. I HAVE NO ROOM IN THIS SUMP BUCKET TO PLACE A IN SUMP PROTEIN SKIMMER! What should I do. Should I replace the existing sump bucket? How would I do this? Do I need to buy a whole new filter? Should I consider another style of protein skimmer? I like the idea of everything being under the tank and out of site. I don't want to use a hang on style. Can anyone give me some advice on the matter. Thanks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Do you have live rock in the tank?

If you do, your best bet is to dump the blue balls (they produce nitrates) and put the skimmer in that chamber, assuming there's room.

Could you maybe post pictures of the tank and the filter system? That might help us help you figure out what to do.