Hello!

Grey

Small Fish
Oct 11, 2011
England
Hello!

My name is Grey and I'm a young adult from England. I've kept fish on and off over the course of my life and have had my fair share of successes and disappointments (haven't we all). I've kept shubumpkins, platys, guppies, mollies, assassin snails and all manners of other aquatic beasties including triops, fairy shrimp, daphnia and other vernal pool inhabitants. I also keep non-aquatic animals; I have two cats and three giant african land snails.

Due to medical issues I have a lot of time on my hands so I have taken to growing carnivorous plants. I grow all sorts from venus fly traps to butterworts, sundews and pitcher plants. I've more recently shown an interest in aquatic variations of a carnivorous plant known as a bladderwort and have been slowly attempting to set up a tank designed around these fascinating aquatic plants.

I've been a part of various forums but have found myself running into a couple of aquarium related issues and thought this would be the best place to go to. I've been doing some reading and will continue to do so but thought I would introduce myself before asking any questions.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Welcome to the forum. I have kept the sundews, venus fly traps and pitcher plants. Had the best luck with the pitcher plants. I know of the bladderwort, but never tried to keep them. I lived in coastal North carolina for a time where some of the carnivorous plants were native. It was illegal to harvest them. Carolina Biological Supply was my source here in the states.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
welcome to the forum!!! always great with such an diverse hobbyist comes around to add to the boards.

do you have pictures of your plants and snails? would love to see them! I cannot keep plants alive for the life of me...i cant keep grass alive!!!! right now trying to keep a bonsai alive that was a bday gift -.- i envy anyone with a green thumb!

Grey

Small Fish
Oct 11, 2011
England
Thank you all for the lovely welcomes!

Hello; Welcome to the forum. I have kept the sundews, venus fly traps and pitcher plants. Had the best luck with the pitcher plants. I know of the bladderwort, but never tried to keep them. I lived in coastal North carolina for a time where some of the carnivorous plants were native. It was illegal to harvest them. Carolina Biological Supply was my source here in the states.
It must have been wonderful to live so close to their natural habitat - I hope one day I am lucky enough to see them out in the wild, myself.

welcome to the forum!!! always great with such an diverse hobbyist comes around to add to the boards.

do you have pictures of your plants and snails? would love to see them! I cannot keep plants alive for the life of me...i cant keep grass alive!!!! right now trying to keep a bonsai alive that was a bday gift -.- i envy anyone with a green thumb!
Thank you! I've tried growing bonsai from seed but had little luck - germination, yes, but keeping the seedlings alive proved to be rather difficult! I do also have a couple of orchids that don't seem to mind my care :p

I have various photographs of my plants but surprisingly few of my snails - should be cleaning them out this weekend and will definately get some more. I am a moderator on another forum and have a topic with a few photos in it, I also have a website dedicated to pinguicula (butterworts) but am not sure of the rules to posting links to other sites.

I can grow algae!!! LOL. Thats as green as I get!
LOL I'm rather bad at growing algae - which is ironic considering I have to feed it to some of my filter feeder shrimp.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Welcome. I do not know the rules for sure but, I have posted a couple links here pertaining to the subject of interest. They seem to be concerned with language and fighting here which is good aspect, which rarely happens anyway. I see other posts here with links to online sites and stores that do not get removed. You might ask to be sure. All the people in charge here are really nice. I am sure one of them will post about it soon now that its been brought up.