Hello...

Aug 5, 2011
Delaware
Hello folks. Some may already know me a bit from noising around on the board. I had a 10 gal fish tank years ago when I lived home. My pop had a 55 gal saltwater tank set-up up til a few years ago. So I have been pretty much around fish and tanks all my life. I my say however that until I found this site I have not been a good keeper. Well I haven't had a tank in about 15 years now. I have been kicking the idea around of starting one back up and the wife wasn't having it. Well, as some may know we took our two girls to a fair and there was a game to win fish. Well we walked out of there with 6 basic gold fish. I bought a 2.5 gal that night from the fair and put them in there for the night. The tank came with de-cholorinator so they were fine. I told the wife that they will not survive in that tank so I got on my jeep club forum as I knew a guy selling a tank set up since he moved up to a 55 gal. He had a 30 gal tall with stand, gravel, light, filter, air pump, and heater with some decor for 200 bucks. After checking just the tank was well worth the price. He just recently moved the fish over so this tank was still set up and running until the last 30 minutes before I got there. He left water covering the gravel and in the pump so I wouldn't have to re-cycle the tank. When I got the tank home that night I added tap water to the tank and set it in place. I had the water tested the next day @ a fish store and they told me give it a week before moving the fish over. The night before I had the water tasted again and the tank was perfect. During this time my wife bought a Wal mart 5.5 gal tank set up. It has now been a week since they moved to their new home and they love it. I was very disappointed to find that I should not add anymore fish to this tank as I wanted @ least one more and maybe a snail or two. Now I test the water just about every other day. They eat every other day as well the same time we feed the pups. I am very happy with this tank and already looking to upgrade by the end of the year. I would like to end up with tow or three more and three snails with some plants. I will keep the 5.5 gal going for treatment or quarantine new fish. The fish in tank cycling didn't work out to well but I am working on proper cycling the 5.5 gal now. It is next to the 30 gal and it's still cool having it set up so it's no burden. I do however want to add a decor or two. I have been reading up on it and I know I have to watch what I get to protect the goldfish from sharp edges. I am glad I found this sight as I plan to do everything proper this time around with in reason. What I mean by that is I must take what I read hear and research it more. I realize that everyone has opinions about things and I must look to facts to back them up as well. I thank everyone so far for helping me out and I hope to someday help a newbie myself...*BOUNCINGS