hello new and need some help

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i can't realy raise the temps in my tanks to much more for treating ich. thats y i use salt primarily. i keep my tanks at a constant 80-81 degrees unless i'm trying to stimulate spawning

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
In my exp. I have treated ich with chems, heat and salt separetly. They all work if done right. The real key is length of treatment I have found. I would go two weeks with anything for ich. If I remember right you have mollies and other live bearers. They can handle a pretty high salt content I believe, so that may be the way to go. The fish you have more than anything should determine the treatmment you choose, IMO.

Lbv82

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2013
I'm not putting in a lot of the salt just alil the mollie is not rubbing on the gravel as much I feel better today about it then I have in the past few days all the levels are good ...fingers crossed

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Here is an article about use of salt in FW aquariums:
Aquaworld Aquarium - 60 Gallon Cube Planted Aquarium

I have never used salt, but I can see there are a lot of possibilities for errors:
1. There are many different types of salt
2. Salt does not evaporate and therefore you would need to be able to measure the salinity of your tank after several water changes.
3. Most people on this forum seem to have success with just raising the temp and even those that add some salt with the increased temp; it can't be proven the salt did any good.
And last - I have no source, but I really wonder how much salt it would actually take to really be effective and whether that much salt would kill the fish first.

Lbv82

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2013
I had that fear about the salt but being that its mainly Mollies in the tank I'm ok with it I did not ad any extra salt just put new salt in for what I took out ...thank guys again really u are all awesome

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
thats the great thing about this forum. u get many different opinions and tips that work for them and u get many things to choose from to fit what u think will be best for u. i am a firm beliver in salt and always run some salt in my tanks. i only replace salt if i do a 50% water change or more. wich is about once every 3-4 months if that. i just do top offs between them. i know alot of people may freak about that water change schedual but it works for me and my fish are healthy, the water is clear and the only thing that comes up is the nitrates and it's not much. also my fish breed like mad. i wont recomend it but for me it seems to work great for me. but anywho off the randomness lol. Lbv82 i have to say try what u are comfortable with. and a general rule of thumb i go with. if 6 people agree on doing one thing then odds are it works. so say 10 people say do this and 2 people say to do something different. i generally go with the 10 people who agree.