hello new and need some help

Lbv82

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2013
hey guys and girls im new to having a tank but learning as much as i can in my free time
2 weeks ago i got a 10 gallon cycled it and drops
this week a buddy asked if i would like to trade my 10 for his 60 he has a baby on the way and needs room so im going to take it right now i have
1 bala shark
2 glass fish
2 Dalmatian mollies
1 ballon mollie
3 guppies 1male 2 female
so i dont know how to make the move from the small to large tank any tips thanks all

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
one thing i can suggest is to keep some of the substrate and decorations in the 10 gallon to place into the new 60 gallon to seed the tank with bacteria. it will help with the new cycle for that tank. wont eliminate the cycle but help it from being so dramatic. obviously all those fish will be fine in that tank and u will be able to add alot more. i'm a fan of larger tanks with a large school of neons or guppies. lots of color and lots of flash. thats my little suggestion :)

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I would return that bala shark though. They get enormous. Pet stores shouldn't sell them. No fault of your own, just know you can't trut chains to give you the right fish for you tank.

Lbv82

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2013
Yep so I woke up to a dead bala shark kinda sad ammonia kinda high ...so this is the main question if any one can help when I move to the 60 what's the best way to cycle it i might have to do it with the fish I already have in is that ok

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Welcome to the forum! I just want to add that there is no such thing as the ammonia being "kinda high" - any ammonia over zero is considered high. Until you get a the larger tank you are going to have to do daily water changes of probably 75% - whatever it takes to get the ammonia and nitrites to zero.

Lbv82

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2013
Oh ok I used the test strip and it was in the spot that read ok not ideal so I was thinking its from the mollies or the food I'm doin a water change tonite when I get home from work

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
get rid of the test strips and get a liquid test kit. they are more reliable and u can get ppm readings instead of just saying good or ok. u are going to pay more for them but they are worth it. and as i stated take some of the stuff from the tank u have now and put it into the new tank to help seed the bacteria. if the tank u are getting is currently setup and is cycled and u are getting all the substrate and filters for it then there realy should be no issue with a cycle as long as everything stays moist. cause the substrate, filter media, deco will already be covered in bacteria.

Lbv82

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2013
It's hard to say right now ill use the rocks and plants I have now I'm thinking I'm going to do a whole new setup kind of hard for me to explain I'm going to have to get a new filter system as he has had turtles in the tank ..thank u all so much like I said I'm really new at this and were I live nothing is cheap so I'm trying to be as carful as potable

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Exhumed is right - the initial outlay of cash for the liquid test kit is more --but in the long run its cheaper because it lasts longer by quit a bit. You can do a lot more tests. Just be sure you get one that tests ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The Master API freshwater kit also tests pH.

Lbv82

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2013
Yeah I'm going to look into the liquid test kit as the shop told me to use the strip it's messed up as he knows me by name and he still hustles me I can't wait till he comes to my shop lol

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have see the test kit on Amazon for $19.99. You can Google "API Master test kit" and there are several places with prices that come up - remember you want the freshwater kit. Also you need to consider shipping, but if you need anything else it is easy to order enough to get free shipping.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
one other thing that helps is salt. i can't remember the amounts per gallon off hand but it will increase the slime coat thickness on the fish pretty much smothering the ich and kills it. i think anyone who has had a tank for any length of time has had ich at one time or another. i have a salt based powder called bosmans fish tonic and i know it's 1tbs per gallon and i've been using it for at least 5 years now and have not had an ich outbreak while using it. there is a pretty big learning curve when doing a fish tank but with patience and vigilance it will all come together. also before buying fish it's a good idea to post on this site as there are "beginner" "intermediate" "hard" and "expert" fish. they either need specific foods, water peramiters, or both and can be hard and even discuraging. also keep in mind that a larger tank is easier to moniter and take care of then a smaller tank as counter intuitive as that may seem. in a small tank if something goes bad it goes bad in a hurry, where as a larger tank there is some time to notice things going wrong and have time to correct the problem before things get to bad. I'm sorry if things i'm saying are kinda random, just thinking of different things off the top of my head to give some advice and encouragment