Hello, looking to start a first Aquarium

laser33

New Fish
Apr 7, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Hello,
My name is Kevin, I am doing the research before buying my first aquarium. I am looking at a 55-75 Gallon and looking to have black moor gold fish and red bubble eye goldfish plus so cold water fish from this list

What Fish Species are Coldwater?

thank in advance for the answers to any of my questions.

Kevin

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i had a hillstream loach that suddenly died. they are a cool little fish, the weather or dojo loaches are fun to watch as long as u get a group of them. but for me personally i would go with some native fish. there are some realy pretty sunfish such as the one in my profile pic which i plan to get one for my tank this summer instead of eating or using them as flathead bait lol. then of course there are things like bullheads for a small species of catfish. those are my suggestions.

Feb 27, 2009
Hello Kevin - Welcome to the forum.

You are lucky to live near a wonderful 'mom & pop' fish store in New Braunfels called Darby's Tropical Fish. They are about an hour from me, and I never hesitate to make the trip out there if I need anything locally purchased. Larry is very knowledgable and they have cold water, tropical freshwater (include lots of aquatic plants) as well as marine water fish.

If you are looking to keep goldfish, I would recommend no more than 3 in a 55 gallon tank, and 4 for a 75 gallon tank. If you want to keep other fish WITH the goldfish, I would lower the amount of goldfish.

Make sure you get fancy goldfish (like the varieties you've mentioned), and not the 'common goldfish' or koi, which really need a pond instead of an aquarium.

I saw your other thread, and goldfish do not NEED to be with their own kind, but are very social fish and appreciate being around their own kind. If you have only space for one, it would not be cruel to keep only one.

laser33

New Fish
Apr 7, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Thanks for you reply, I am going to check out darby's on wed or thurs to see to talk to them about what I want. I got intrested in owning an Aquarium due to the TV show Tanked on Animal Planet. I would really love a saltwater tank with Seahorses and ray etc. but I figured I better start with a fresh water tank then jump to a salt water tank...lol

So I am researching and talking to anyone and everyone about fish tanks and fish.

Kevin

Feb 27, 2009
Thanks for you reply, I am going to check out darby's on wed or thurs to see to talk to them about what I want. I got intrested in owning an Aquarium due to the TV show Tanked on Animal Planet. I would really love a saltwater tank with Seahorses and ray etc. but I figured I better start with a fresh water tank then jump to a salt water tank...lol

So I am researching and talking to anyone and everyone about fish tanks and fish.

Kevin
Seahorses can be a lot of work due to their feeding, and rays take pristine water and a HUGE footprint for a tank. I've had both, and they are wonderful to watch. But unless you have a ton of money and time to spend on the first tank, I would agree to get your 'feet' wet, as it were, with freshwater.

Darby's gets new fish in on Thursdays, if I recall.