Hello from Oregon

Cuzco

New Fish
Apr 10, 2009
Hello~

It's been a while (since living with my parents) but I've set up a new aquarium to introduce my kids to caring for fish friends.

We've started with a 26g fresh water setup and it just looks beautiful sitting there, but no fish yet. We will be getting something to test the waters this weekend.

I remember the last time I was 'manager' of the tank, I was hoping to someday have a couple Tiger Barbs and Angels, but I now have no idea which fish may be territorial or just plain aggressive.

For the kids' interest we may just stay with simple Koi or something to get them into the cycle of caring for them.

I'll be doing some reading here to find out more. Great to be here just the same, it's nice to find forums with people who have similar interests.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :D

Unfortunately, koi aren't suitable for tanks, only ponds. They easily get to 2 feet or more in length.

Take a look at the stickies in the Freshwater Beginner Forum for information on how to cycle your tank, which you will need to do before you add fish. :)

Cuzco

New Fish
Apr 10, 2009
Thank you. I'm doing a bunch of reading now.

My memory of fish types has gone away...I'm starting all over. I do recall my mom's 20g hex had 2 Koi and 1 Fantail. Maybe hers were just ugly Goldies? They did get quite large (approx 4in.) The Fantail got very fat, like a tennis ball, and lived for a long long time.

She decided just to keep them as her only community since they were thriving and utterly no hassle for her to manage.

Maybe I'll just go get a couple Goldies and hope for the best. My kids don't mind what type we get just yet.

Maybe I'll just go get a couple Goldies and hope for the best. My kids don't mind what type we get just yet.
Welcome to the tank!

It is recommended that you have at least 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 additional gallons for each additional goldfish. Some goldfish types can get around 12 inches long.

I would recommend you go for a community tank. This would allow you to have lots of little fish. Livebearers are very active and your kids will love them. If you come across a fish you might like, check its profile in the "Freshwater Fish Profiles" up top in the first bar on the left. That will tell you how many to get, the male to female ratio, how large they get, and what they eat.

That should get you started. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have and don't forget to cycle! Cycling a Tank

And most of all, have fun! This is a very addicting hobby and I love it!! :)

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Hello from the poke-a-nose, lol.

I'm a "community tank" pusher :) but you seem to know what you want in fish.

My son (7) has been helping me to plan the stock of our 55g. He's learning a lot about fish and compatibilty. He's really interested which is making his patience with the cycling process seem unending.
Maybe your children will enjoy helping you?
I doubt they will be helping with the water changes and other maintenance, lol.

Cuzco

New Fish
Apr 10, 2009
Well, I'm actually very rusty and learning all over again about which breeds will get along with who...and who-not. I spent a lot of time in the freshwater profiles yesterday.

You hit the nail on the head BlueStraggler... This is all about my kids learning. We home-school so this will become something of an ongoing life-science project.

Cycling will be a fun challenge since the kids will be able to measure PH and figure out what's going on. It means so much more than just feeding their fish.

As for community, I agree, but I guess I'll have to get into another tank at some point cuz I've now remembered how much I love those green Tiger Barbs. I seem to remember they won't get along with the little ones.

Cuzco

New Fish
Apr 10, 2009
Hello again~ I just wanted to post an update (3 1/2 yrs later!) as to the condition of our 'community' tank. The kids totally enjoy the fish and they do participate.

We started with 2 fantails as tester fish (oops), added a rubber lipped pleco, and finally 5 tetras. The tank balanced well and has thrived with monthly maintenance. The tetras all lived happy full lives leaving a happy pleco and of course the two goldies.

We've since moved the tank upstairs to our 'media' area where the gold fish love to interact with us and hang out watching the TV. I recently bought them an air pump in anticipation of something to play with, but they also enjoy new plants added now and then.

The kids just bought a Black Moor to join the small group, but I think I'll need a 55g+ soon.

I just want to state to anyone starting out that this is a very satisfying hobby/pet activity. I'm also fine with just goldfish now.