Hatchetfish

Bombay

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I would like to add some hatchetfish to my tank.  I have a 46 g with ph 7.8 and hardness around 10 or 179 ppm.  Will hatchetfish do well in my tank?  If so, which type?  Any comments about hatchetfish are appreciated.
Bombay

johnc

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
its hard to say...hatchetfish are a native of south america nad the oH in their natural waters is usually lower, in the acidic range...if you were going to keep hatchets, i would say to at least get your pH more toward neutral...you can always try, but they will do better with a pH lower than what yours is right now..also, make sure your tankis well covered when you get them

D

discusaquarium

[glow=Navy,strength,width]I'd say not to keep the hatchetfish in that tank. The hatchetfish are from the Amazon river and they have a much lower pH there. The water there is usually about 6.5 maybe even lower. Hope I could help. 8)
Joe[/glow]

Oct 22, 2002
Yeah they sure will jump out.  If they see any light at the top you better believe that will find a way to get out of it.  They need brackish water.  I have 2 in with a few of my puffers and a small school of scats.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
   i hear they aree also very delicate and get picked on by alot of other fish. doesn't sound like a good choice for your tank, but that is just my opinion. if you HAVE to have one like I HAVE to have my angels even though i have hard water, you can get chemicals to lower the PH, but you will have to check the water constantly because it will gradually work it's way back up.