Has anyone got experience with gill flukes

phil59

Small Fish
Nov 21, 2006
I think my discus have a gll fluke but I treated them with a worming medicine that also treated flukes and it has not made a difference. They have one gill clamped and are breathing rapidly through the other and are occasionally flicking, rubbing and shaking and it is only half my discus that have this problem.
Any suggestions?
Phil :confused:

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
tank size?
how many discus?
how big are they?
how old is the tank?
how long have you had the discus?
how often do you do water changes?

and i did a lot of water changes when my wild discus got gill flukes. it doesnt sound like gill flukes though

phil59

Small Fish
Nov 21, 2006
Please see post discus not happy as it is all the same info as what is on their I am still trying to find out the problem, but when I looked at a diagnosis site they seemed to have all the signs of what they had as a gill fluke.
Really confusing me!!!
Thanks for your replies please help me sort the poor little guys out as I have lost 3, I have tested everything in my water and the only thing that is not spot on is the phosphate level, does this affect discus?

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
that thread didnt give me all the information i needed.
how often do you do water changes?
what kind of water do you use?

when you got the discus, what kind of condition were they in?
do you know what parameters they were kept in before you got them?

Apr 11, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi
This is my 1st post here....YAY!!
My discus has gill fluke at the moment. I think he does at least. Same diagnosis as yours by the description. I medicated him with a medicine called Worm-Rid. It also treats worms. This medicine tends to improve the flukes but doesn't remove it. After a few days we are back to square one.:confused:
I needed to remove the active carbon.. Did you.. May help if you do. I don't know what else to do. Is this infection fatal? My discus has hadf it for about 2 weeks and I have treated him twice with no real results.:confused:
any ideas?
Fishkid