Gurami - is it bullied, shy, or pregnant ?

Tony-B

New Fish
Jan 18, 2006
Hi all,
I introduced a pair of 3 spot Gurami's about three weeks ago, and they appeared fine. Over the last few days, the female (I think) is being constantly herded into the corner of the tank (under green plants) by the other Gurami. If she tries to swim out, he herds her back. He does not seem to bother with the other fish in the tank. Can anybody offer any suggestions?

Thanks.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
gourami's are very territorial fish, if the gourami's are the largest fish in the tank they will often kill each other. I personally have never had any luck with gourami's as they have always killed the other then proceeded to chase the next largest fish to death and so on down the line.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
First off, are you sure about the sexes of the gourami? Secondly, has the male been doing anything else to the female, like bumping into her side, building a bubblenest under the leafs of the plants. He might be trying to breed with her.

Rebgen

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2005
Central Iowa
This doesn't solve your current problem but if you are interested in keeping gouramis, I'd recommend Pearl gouramis. I have a trio (2-female, 1-male) in a community 55 gal. tank and they get along extremely well. Pearls are very docile and get along with other fish very well.