guppy/molly fry

leafcat

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2012
Two weeks ago I didn't expect that one of my fish (either guppies/balloon mollies) gave birth to more or less 30 fry. 1 have 1 female guppy that has a dark spot in her belly http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/lbuan/IMG_1317.jpg and a balloon molly http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/lbuan/IMG_1305.jpg

I'm just wondering which of these fish has given birth. I've noticed that the belly of the balloon molly has a dark area as well but not as clear as that of the female guppy. Is it also possible to have multiple births in just two weeks time because the fish has given birth again to 4 fry today. :eek:

Can I mix two week old fry from the new born? How would I know if its a guppy or a molly fry. It seems they are actually the same from research.

Thanks for the help! *SUNSMILE*

I've never had Molly fry, but I have had Guppy and Platy and in my experience you can't see the difference until they grow up a little. I don't know about Mollies, but I do know Guppies can have babies every month. It sounds like you have both kinds of fry. In very rare occasions, Mollies have even crossed over with Guppies, but that was just plain Mollies, not Balloon Mollies.

How warm is your tank the babies are in and have you got them in a breeding tank or just a normal fish tank? If your temperature is below 27 degrees Celsius, you'll find the babies won't grow very fast and it'll take forever for them to actually grow up. You don't want to over populate a breeding trap, presuming that's what you have them in. If so, I'd suggest either getting another breeding trap for the recent babies or setting up another tank. But, yes you can put the two week old babies in with the new, along as they aren't too much bigger to the others. I've done it a thousand times over and haven't had a problem yet.

Feb 27, 2009
I'm just wondering which of these fish has given birth.
It is almost impossible to tell until they develop more. Depending on water quality, food quality, and temperature, it can take several weeks for them to grow enough to tell which they are.

Is it also possible to have multiple births in just two weeks time because the fish has given birth again to 4 fry today.
Although it is POSSIBLE for a live bearer to give birth to more fry two weeks later, it's more likely that you had one give birth two wks ago and now the other is giviing birth.

Can I mix two week old fry from the new born?
Big fish eat small fish, so as long as the smaller fish are not 'bite sized' to the bigger ones, they will be not be eaten. However, big fish will also outcompete the smaller fish for available food.

leafcat

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2012
I have a breeding net which is better than the enclosed one because the water actually doesn't get stagnant in the tank. My tanks temp ranges between 76-84. Yeah I'm planning to buy another tank for the frys or else It'll be overstocked. *SLEEPING*

Feb 27, 2009
is it normal for balloon mollies to produce plenty of poops? thanks :)
The 'balloon' version of the molly is a deformity. I've never kept them personally and don't know if its 'normal' for them to poop a lot.

As far as her being pregnant, if she has been with a male in the last several months, odds are good.

leafcat

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2012
After 4 weeks I've found that 4 of the frys are mollies mixed with guppy frys. I'm just wondering if it safe to put Bactonex in the tank as one of the adult guppy has an ick :confused: The frys are still in the breeding net. Many thanks. *thumbsups

leafcat

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2012
The 'balloon' version of the molly is a deformity.
Okay, so when the balloon molly gives birth, it can have the normal molly or the balloon molly which is the deformed one? I first thought that the balloon molly gives birth to exactly the same, balloon molly fry. I hope I got that right.:rolleyes:

Thanks orangecones.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
They can have receive genes just like any other critter and give birth to normal Molly fry as well as balloon Molly. i actually had a cichlid that did this. they were yellow and orange originally but every now and then have blue babies. I've kept the blue ones and breed them for my lfs cause no one has them. so as u can see when u get fry interesting things can happen with the genetics