Guppy fry

RyanML

Small Fish
Aug 18, 2010
hey all,

around new year time a guppy i bought gave birth, well long story short only 3 have survived and up untill today they have been kept in a breeder net

the thing is they havent really grown as i would have thought they have... had them since say mid jan and they are no where near going in back into my tank, have been feeding them twice a day with crushed up flake food... ive just moved them into a 5 gal tank and can really see how small they are

could there be any reason in particular why they havent grown?

Last edited:

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
My understanding is that fry growth is partially affected by the size of the containment unit they are in . . . . perhaps the breeder net was just too small a space for them long term . . . .
+one. Lot's of real or artificial floating plant's in the aquarium help with fry survival with those
I have raised, and is much better than keeping them in a net.
Some will get eaten in tank with adult's but many can survive with enough floating cover for them to hide in.
No worry's about those that get eaten ,guppies can and do reproduce quickly if water condition's suit them.

May 4, 2011
Ohio
Just thought I'd post since I recently had guppy fry myself. Less than a week ago I had a guppy fry spawn(?) and they have almost doubled in size. I have not so many hiding spots, a cave ornament, a few sparse kyoto grass and a black gravel bottom but they seem to survive just fine in the darkness of the cave. At birth they were basically a pair of eyes with transparent tails that darted around, now I can see bodies, fins, complete outlines. Probably just because they were stunted (unintentionally it seems) I kind of gave up on trying to preserve guppy fry as in one month I went from 3 adult guppies to 3 adult and 5 surviving fry, without trying. I would recommend not trying to breed and keep them unless you have a plan on where to send them, feeders, store credit, free pets, etc. You can and will be overrun, I can see that in my own tank already. P.S. my guppy girls are now in a 40 gallon with the 2 larger fry and the 3 small fry are in the 29 gallon where they were born. Hooray for watching a life-cycle in your own house *BOUNCINGS*celebrate

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Notice when you try to breed livebearers, you fail epically. Then, when you say screw it, they breed like crazy!! I'm telling you people, just put a female or two (after impregnation) in a 10 gallon by themselves and soon you'll have 40 fry swimming around everywhere and each week, even AFTER you took the females out, you still see more and more babies!!!!! Yeah, I've been there. Still here too. Seriously!! Does anybody want some Tiger Platies?? I start out with a male Mickey Mouse, a female Mickey Mouse, and a female Silver Wag Platies and I get only a few Mickey Mouses and a few Wag, but I get a million Mickey Mouse/Wag Tiger Platy fry!! Some of them have black fin, others have black mickey mouse markings, but all of them have black stripes running vertically down their sides. I need variation!! I will trade some Tigers for some Red Wags or Twin Bars or Peppermints or SOMETHING!!!
.........*sigh*...............

Sorry. Thanks for letting me let it all out. but seriously, don't sweat if for the first few months you don't have fry or if only a few survive. You get more experienced over time and you start to think of ways that will help your fish have more surviving fry and all with as little stress as possible. Well, good luck!!!!!

RyanML

Small Fish
Aug 18, 2010
just going to bump this, only have one baby guppy left from that litter, which i suppose is good going since its been 10 months an all, but shes still not even an inch long, shes in a 5gal tank with another small guppy no other fish, always make sure that they both have the same amount of food and well, shes tiny, any ideas how to gain a bit of size on her so she can go back into my big tank?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Its possible your guppy fry has congenital problems. In the past I have had two different mollies that acted just fine and ate well, but never got any larger than about an inch. They both lived almost a year, but finally died.