Guppy fry

jamiejay09

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2009
England
get an oscar tank and feed them to the oscars thats part of the circle o life *BOUNCINGS
I dont agree with this at all, its not the circle of life if you are purposely feeding vulnerable offspring to a preditory fish. There are many ways of moving on fry, Fish stores,friends,local schools (as pets) and if none of these are options then you could easily set up a small aquarium and raise the fry whilst you continue to search for a place to move them to.

Jan 7, 2011
i dont mean to sound mean but people are talking about slappin fish on tables freezing them. i dont agree with that. if one waits to for the fry to grow up then then feed them it gives them a chance. i have had guppies live with turtles and even had one surive with my catfish.
of course you can take them to a LFS but if i remember correctly, she said the petstores near her didnt want any, so now what you you give them to a teacher at a school that will most likely stuff it in a small tank in the classroom for snotty little children to come up and tap the glass. i dont agree with that.
my comment was merely a suggestion.
my guppy tank is a breeder tank for turtles and catfish. i have had some live with my turtles and others just get eatin.
i read people say they wouldnt mind if they got eatin well get a tank with an oscar, or a couple chilids. i even know people that feed them to saltwaterfish.
add if somone sets up a tank just for fry in a month there will be reproducing then that leads to overcrowding then shell have a tank full of fish that she cant get rid of......
sorry to offend anybody if i did, i was simply adding my 2 cents which wasnt welcome.

Last edited:
All comments are welcome, there will always be some uncomfortable subjects. Some are very sensitive when talking about using fish as food others are all for it, it's just something to be cautious of, in the end it will bring about debate and emotions.

Ultimately and luckily I was able to keep mine in quite a few containers before getting someone to take them. Personally, I don't want to kill my fish in any form and think the ultimate lesson is that if you choose to have male and female fish you need to be responsible when and if they spawn on top of being responsible in general when keeping fish.