Guppies!! Pregnant or dieing?

fuzzimuzzi

Small Fish
Apr 21, 2006
My female has sort of been in a trance lately. Web articles I've read say that if there's gravid black spot and it looks like it's gonna blow, it's pregnant. Well, I see the gravid black spot but it doesn't look like it's gonna blow. Plus, it's been pass motioning long semi transparent stuff that have a few spots of red or some round stuff appearring in intervals along the "****". I'm suspecting that it's actually crapping its guts out (better guess than my initial guess that it's giving birth. So my question is:

1. What's happening?:confused:
2. How big are the new born fries?
3. Any body got a photo of a female(I don't mind male*SUPERSMIL ) guppy giving birth?

Sep 10, 2006
Denver, CO
Livebearers crap that transparent stuff all the time. If she has become somewhat inactive lately, she may be close. Is this her first time? She should be ok. Beware though, I try not to get attatched to female livebearers because they have a high mortality rate after giving birth. Some do ok and some don't. :-( I hope yours will be fine. Good luck!

Steven

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
like i said before its perfectly natural, its like some female fish that lay eggs look like they are pooping out their intestines some times.

good luck with your possible babies. the female fish should swell a little bit around the abdomen and there should be a black/dark spot, which are the babies eyes.

Apr 21, 2006
Thanks guys. but erm...the fish K.O.ed a day after ...so sad... well...she left me with 7 fries...ya... btw... when I posted this thread...it was the second time I saw it...and it was actually this long: _________ ...that's why I got worried. I've got a problem with one of my cherry barbs now...the fins look like they've got some sort of dust on it...I've read that it's caused by some sort infection... and that there's no actual remedy...so I took the fish out and put it in a separate container and added aquarium salt... anyone got a better idea?