Guppies not eating...HELP!!!

Jan 18, 2009
www.guineapigstuff.com
I've had my guppies for 3 days now and they haven't eaten one thing yet!!!

What do I do?? I'm trying to feed them Nutrafin max tropical fish flakes...but it seems like they never notice when I put food in the tank.

How can I get my fish to eat/notice the food??

Jan 18, 2009
www.guineapigstuff.com
they are wiggling their body back in forth - swimming in one spot basically... o no... not good.

They hang out at the top and corners....

BUT they do swim now and then and chase each other and they even seemed to play hide and go seek yesterday.....they don't always stay in one spot.....

joy613

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Did you cycle your tank? It sounds like the type of thing that use to happen to me years ago when it was go get a tank, the clown puke gravel, corner filter, heater, sunken ship, fake plants, light and fish all in the same day go home set it up and hope for the best. Three days later make another trip because there was ich or velvet that needed to be dealt with.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Not eating and hanging in the corner can be different things and Iam sure theres more but heres few.

1. There still getting new to the tank-happens alot of times.
2. The water conditions are bad, and maybe there sitting underneath the filter with a skin issue(which can pop up later but thats a different topic)
3. Ive seen fish not eat certain flakes but eat another kind of flakes (weird but Ive seen it)
4. Maybe your fish is being scared and picked on.
5. Not enough bubbles in tank so it stays near top of water in corner?

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
10 bucks says you're ammonia's spiked because you didn't cycle the tank. You are now doing a fish-in cycle (don't worry, I've been there done that too!). Go get test kits (drops and test tube, not sticks) for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Start daily water changes. Do not vacuum the gravel, because you need bacteria to start culturing so that it can stabilize your tank. And read all the stickys on Cycling a tank. You won't find much on a fish-in cycle, but at least you'll know what your fish are going through right now and what to expect. Oh, and you really only need to feed your fish a few flakes 2-3 times a week as a general rule of thumb- but especially since you're probably experiencing ammonia spikes. Keep us posted.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
If people could guess they would say water conditions for top one. Like I said I did it too... on the no cycle when I had the tank so I had to wait long time for it to turn into a cycle tank. Hobby is fun but do your homework some and it go alot smoother!

Jan 18, 2009
www.guineapigstuff.com
Ok - so the reason he's not eating is because of ammonia or nitrite, I'm summarizing... thanks for the info everyone

Now I know why and not to do that again, but how do I possibly get him to eat? My sister has a 5 gallon tank that seems cycled (has had it with 1 betta fish for maybe 4-ish months now...)

Can I put some water from that tank into mine to help the bacteria and possibly destress my fishy so he'll eat????

Using "cycled" water won't help because there's no bacteria in the water. It's only on the decor, gravel, and filter media.

If you haven't done so, test your water and post the results. In the mean time, do a large water change to decrease the ammonia/nitrite, whatever it may be. If you can, get some gravel or part of the filter media (the filter cartridge) from the other tank and keep it in yours until your tank is cycled.

To speed it up, you should probably look into getting some Biospira. That will probably solve your problems. :) Good luck!