GS Puffer has stopped eating. Please Help!

Mar 24, 2011
I have a Puffer named Merlin. I got him about 3 months ago and he has done great. We keep him in a brackish 20 Gal. Long tank. His tank mates were a few blood fin tetras. Yesterday we relocated the tetras because we are getting ready to get a 50 Gal. full salt water tank for him. Ever since yesterday he has stopped eating. I'm wondering if it's because we got rid of the tetras or if there might be another reason. Please help! I care for him greatly and don't want him to die.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I'm assuming Merlin is a Green Spotted Puffer.

What is your salinity in your brackish aquarium? An ideal salinity for a GSP is 1.015 (pufferform - very knowledgeable puffer site)I can't imagine that removing your tetras would cause your puffer any issues they are kinda a loner fish...although every puffer is different.

What is the color of your puffer's stomach? Light or dark? Is your puffer's stomach sunken in? It could be internal parasites if you haven't treated for them before....they are really common in puffers. What have you been feeding your puffer? What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Any copper products come in contact with your aquarium lately?

Sorry about all the questions but the more information you give us the better we can help you and Merlin!! :)

Last edited: