Gray Coast Calcite from Seachem

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/GrayCoast.html

Has anyone here used this stuff before? I just picked up two bags when we were close to a petsmart for my Tanganyikan tank. I wanted a darker sand than the normal playsand I've used, and to my surprise they actualy had the Tahitian moon sand, and this stuff. I figured that since this was a marine sand, you all would be more likely to know anything about it, so I brought the questing straight to the source.

To be honest I picked this up for the color. The jet black moon sand looks nice, but I was wanting something a little different than just black. But I don't think any of the additional minerals are going to cause any problems, and the buffer is just a plus for me.

Sorry to disapoint anyone thinking I was setting up a SW tank. Mabey someday. :)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, i haven't used this product but i have used seachem substrate and i haven't noticed any problems. it looks like a great color and seems to represent the muddy lake bottom look much better than white or black would...show us some pics when you get the stuff in!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
So far so good. It looks great from what I can tell. I don't have the lights on the tank right now so I can't see that well, but I will get some pics up as soon as I get the canopy back on.

I'm starting to belive that there is a conspiricy revolving around seachem. This is the second substrate product I've used from them that I have rinsed for almost an hour, it is rinsed perfectly clear, and as soon as it hits the tank it becomes cloudy beyond all recognition. lol.

I bought two bags just to be sure I had enough, and I only ended up using one bag. Turns out one full bag may have been a little more than I wanted. But for $18 per bag, and no shipping cost, it was worth it to have a little extra around.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Is it cloudier than the normal play sand you have used in the past, is it just cloudier or is it taking longer to settle aswell?

Im looking forward to pictures, that sand looks like it would make a nice addition to your tank

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
It was a lot more cloudy than play sand, but it also had many more fine particles as well. The majority of the substrate isn't small, actualy it's quite a bit larger than play sand, but the dust in it is what's made it cloudy. Not really a big deal, even though I rinsed it for close to an hour, three water changes and almost 24 hours later it's just about clear as a bell.

If I finish getting the lighting re-wired on the canopy, I should be able to get some good photo's this evening.