Gravel Cleaner

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
So far I haven't found a siphon that cleans gravel without removing water - meaning it has a filter to clean the water and not remove if from the tank. Has any one used one and is it practical? I just changed 30% - 40% of the water in one of my tanks and would have liked to do a bit more vacuuming - but I have carried enough water for the day. :)

Jan 23, 2012
Aurora CO
I have a python and it works great. It hooks right up to the faucet and can fill or siphon debris out of the gravel. Changing some of the water often is never a bad thing. Those ones that tried to filter the debris/ water and just recirulated the dirty water never have the same effects as changing some of the water. Your tank will thank you.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I still would change water, but I don't want to be taking 75% of the water out just to say I have vacuumed the gravel and as long as the parameters are okay I don't see any need to be doing a partial change every couple of days. I just want to vacuum the tank if there seems to be more debris when I stir up the gravel and I would think someone would have invented a way you could hand pump the water through a filter and back into the tank.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
BTW I do have what I gather is a python. I have never used it because of the problem of controlling the temperature of the water and I don't like the idea of having the source 30 feet away from the outlet. I can see too much potential for either a flood or the wrong temp. I use an instant read thermometer and fill gallon jugs with water and "run" back and forth. (I don't actually run well anymore. lol)