gouramis wont breed

Yohan

Small Fish
Aug 26, 2012
hi, ive got a pair of gourami ive been trying to breed for about a month now.
i had them together in a two foot tank, and the female clearly had eggs. but had to put a divider in . because the male was bashing her to the extreme and i feared for her health. ive now got them both in a two foot, with a divider in it that they can see through. ive started feeding them blood worms once a day. and the female still looks like she has eggs. ive got little experience with this fish species and im in need of desperate advice. please help!

Feb 27, 2009
If you mean the gold color variation of Trichogaster trichopterus, they are a bubble nest builder. Do you have floating plants or something the male can build his next in? Is he building a nest?

Are you sure you have a Male/Female pair? Photos would be helpful.

Yohan

Small Fish
Aug 26, 2012
yes, ive places ringlets made for bubble nest builders in the tank. but hes made no attempt to build a nest. when i bought them i got them off a breeder who told me they were a male and female, ill try and photos up.
do they like a certain ph?

Feb 27, 2009
They should easily adapt to whatever the pH of your water is. Chemically changing your water's pH can cause deadly pH swings.

Photos will help to determine their gender.

Yohan

Small Fish
Aug 26, 2012
I NEW IT, when i was in the store buying them i originally i thought this was a couple of females. but the breeder told me otherwise.
ill have to buy another male. and perhaps my luck will change. thanks a heap for your help.

Yohan

Small Fish
Aug 26, 2012
so they breed with 2 females?. im still having no luck. so im gonna try a water change today. and keep feeding them meaty foods. to try and provoke breeding.
i never knew how hard labyrinths were to breed.