Gourami Questions...

redjln

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2003
NJ
Visit site
I have a 75-gallon community tank and currently have 4 Gouramis in it. I have one Neon Gouramis and three Fire Gouramis, all males. I believe that when I bought them, the tanks listed all of them as being Dwarf. As far as I can tell, all the Gouramis are getting along well with each other.

Now, my question is I saw another type of Dwarf Gourami I was thinking of adding to my tank, yet at the same time, I am afraid of upset the ones I have already. So the first question, is should a get another Gourami?

Also, how much space should each Gourami have? Do they set up a territory of their own in the tank?

The other question is basically if I am going to have a problem eventually with my 4 males, or will they always keep getting along as well as they do now?

Thanks,
Redjln

redjln

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2003
NJ
Visit site
My adult guys are about 3 inches long and have not changed size since I got them. The other two are rapidly approaching that size, and only recently stopped growing so quickly. I mean they went from about an inch to about two and half inches in the course of a little over a month.

Oct 22, 2002
In a big tank like that you should easily be able to add a few more males. But I think your missing one of the best parts of keeping gouramis. I would suggest you buy 10-12 females and watch as they pair up and build nests to impress their mates. In such a large tank if you have lots of plats some of the fry would even reach maturity if you keep the fish load low.

redjln

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2003
NJ
Visit site
Actually, I am just not at a stage were I could tend to fry as they would need to be tended to. Plus these fellas live in a community tank as well. I think I would convert the 20 gallon if I was going to do that. Right now I am trying to breed platys in it!

I think I will get some more Gouramis! Thank you for your help!

redjln

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2003
NJ
Visit site
Actually, My little guys got a little big, and low and behold, I think they are not guys at all now! Their bottom fin is rounded at the back, were as my other two are pointed.

These four are my first Gouramis, so did I make a mistake sexing them?