Gourami Question

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm contemplating getting a Gourami or three for my new 29gal, but know it's not enough territorial space for more than one of the same type. I'm thinking about a dwarf flame, dwarf powder blue and Banded (aka giant even though it's not). Would I have a royal gourami rumble or would it work out?

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
You can't mix gouramis unless you have a good ratio of males and females. It is nearly impossible to find females at the store, as they are more drab in colour. If you mix those types of gouramis and they are all the same gender, they will kill each other. Gouramis are in the same family as Siamese fighting fish and share some similar characteristics.
Someone with more experience can chip in with more peaceful types of gouramis.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
the flame and powder blue are the same species, I am not familiar with the Banded, but you can expect the two dwarfs to fight. I have never been able to keep more than one in 29G or smaller tanks, I have never tried anything bigger than 30G.

I have read that Honey Gouramis are peaceful towards each other

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
The banded/striped/giant gourami is supposed to be about 4-5 inches and lacking in hostility towards most other species. I'll look into the honeys though. That might be another option.

Do you know how hard set the PH cap is for Gouramis? I'm seeing them cap out at 7 or 7.5 depending on the site, but I sit naturally at 7.6.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Currently, I have three gouramis in a 30 gal tank - two red flame and one neon blue. All were the same size when I bought them but now one of the red flame's is really big. The other two are the same size. The larger one does chase the gourami's sometimes but the barb always breaks it up. Hopefully the tank will continue to be peaceful.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Currently, I have three gouramis in a 30 gal tank - two red flame and one neon blue. All were the same size when I bought them but now one of the red flame's is really big. The other two are the same size. The larger one does chase the gourami's sometimes but the barb always breaks it up. Hopefully the tank will continue to be peaceful.
Hello, contridiction! I'm Paige. Nice to meet you. If there is chasing going on between members of the same known aggressive species, it is because they don't have enough space and have overlapping territories. Overlapping territories is NOT a good thing, as the parts that overlap will constantly be contested over and there will constantly be fighting and chasing. I'm sorry, but gouramis chasing each other DOES NOT mean you have a peaceful tank, dude. It means you need to rehome two of your gouramis.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Just an FYI - @bassbonediva - the bully gourami has been placed in a 10 gal by himself. The other two gouramis are in a 30 gal tank and stay on opposite sides of the tank. So far, no chasing each other. I hope this is a good sign. Thanks for your input.