Gourami Identification

Franki

Small Fish
Nov 12, 2013
Hi
I'm new to the group.
Last night in my introduction I posted that I has Opal Gouramis which is what they were labeled at the LFS.
I've seen them called several names but also think I can't make up my mind for sure what they are. If someone can identify them positively I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Franki
image.jpg image.jpg

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Looks like a pale blue. But like Newman said, opal / opaline gouramis are just a color morph, as are gold gouramis. Usually the opals will be darker when stressed or scared too (it's actually really pretty). I can't remember if the blues get lighter or darker when stressed.

Franki

Small Fish
Nov 12, 2013
I'm sorry, now you have me confused. I get that they are Gouramis but are you saying the are all just color variations and not blues and opals?

image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
they all look like the same species to me. they are the three spot gourami. they can either have spots or those wavy striped markings.
yes they are color variations of the same species.

Feb 27, 2009
Franki, all of the gourami you have are one species: Trichopodus trichopterus. The 'blue', 'gold', or 'opal' (short for 'opaline') names are just for the color they are.

It is like the guppy: Poecilia reticulate. If the fish has a red tail, blue body, or snakeskin pattern to his colors, he is still a 'guppy.' The different colors are just man-made variations caused by inbreeding.

Franki

Small Fish
Nov 12, 2013
Thank you for all the replies. I knew the blue was "blue" but from looking at photos on the internet wasn't positive what color the white one was considered.
I love the Pearls, they are my absolute favorite and I had them originally several times and it seems they always get something wrong with them. From what I've read they are supposed to be hardy(ier?).
They are my favorites but just never had good luck. So now I have the three large ones which are females and the two little Opals are males.

Thanks again.
Franki

Jan 3, 2017
Could someone help me? I think my gouramis are Thick-Lipped Sunsets but I'm not sure.. also, they seem to be turning a black color but when I got them they were all orange. Any help is appreciated! Thanks