got a free nano wave 9...

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
My neighbor was throwing it out, so I grabbed it. I just have no idea how it's supposed to be set up, and I can't find the manual online (just finding links to various forums)... I do not plan to set it up except maybe as a f/w for my betta (don't feel comfortable trying saltwater at this time, need WAY more research and edu on it). I just want to see if it works correctly and if there is anything needed for it. I tried plugging it in, but I do not know what needs priming or if my water level is too low... if anyone knows where to get the manual in pdf, please let me know... If you have any advice also, that would be good too :)
Thanks!

(I moved across the country 6 months ago and had to get rid of all my fish, we got a new betta recently, and he is in the little 1.5g at the moment, but it really sucks... I would like to be able to put him in this once cleaned properly and set up...)

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
resurrecting this because I want to give it another go. Please excuse how gross it is in the video, it's just for test purposes to see if I can get it working correctly. It will be thoroughly cleaned if I can.
[video=youtube_share;WSwUTXthdeU]http://youtu.be/WSwUTXthdeU[/video]
There's very slight water movement in the refugarium, and the thing that I believe is the protein skimmer is making a whole bunch of noise but not actually doing anything. I have tried again to look for a user's manual or any info on how to get it started online with no luck. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. If you have a guess as to how to get it working again, I and Mighty Mouse (the betta) would be eternally grateful.
Thanks!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Where is the pump? Really it should just need a pump to move water through the filter / refugium section. If you haven't yet, try taking the pump apart and making sure the impeller is seated properly and running. You should be able to replace the pump with a similar sized one if that one isn't going. Should be all you need, plus a heater.

A protein skimmer won't work on fresh water. (Well, technically it will run but it won't serve the purpose of actually removing anything.) So you might as well just take the sucker out. And you can add filter media to the area where the skimmer won't be.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
the only pump I see is the one associated with the skimmer, and it is what is making the noise. I was not able to figure out how to take it apart, though I didn't try too hard. I was afraid to break it more. If I were to merely get a pump, which end would I put it on? I really know nothing about refugiums, as I never had to use one. I'm confused about where the water intake would be, and where it would exit. There are some "vents" on the right side (which is where the "skimmer" is), so I'm guessing it's the exit, but I could totally be wrong. That could actually be the intake because there is a pipe on the top left of the back of the tank. Let me see if I can get some more video of what there is, and maybe you can take a guess about what to try next? I will try to take the little grey pump apart first though to see if that helps. Thanks!!

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I checked the pump on the skimmer, and that works by itself (when not attached to the larger plastic tube on top), but it doesn't seem to move enough water across the filter media. I think I may be missing an actual pump for this thing. The tube on the left doesn't actually attach to anything and I am thinking it maybe should?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
there should be a pump in the back reservoirs that pumps water back into the tank. water drains down that overflow on the wall. i didnt see it in the video. is there an overflow?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
there is no over-flow wall that I can see... what would it look like? everything fills evenly with water... I can't picture where an overflow would go in this tank; on the right maybe? The picture series I saw of htis tank from several years ago at a European show doesn't have a visible overflow. Am I missing something?

I called Aqua Medic earlier and apparently they bought this design off someone else. They ended up discontinuing it about 6 or 7 years ago. They have since gotten rid of any manuals and washed their hands of the product. The guy at Aqua Medic told me my best bet was to take it to an LFS to trouble-shoot, or look online at the forums. I had checked a few forums with little found on searches except how people set them up (nothing technical). I took it to an lfs, and the guy figured I just needed a pump (which is the conclusion we had come to here), so I got one. It seems to be working now. I will have it running for a few days and cycle it with plants, then move the betta's entire set-up to this thing once I know it's working properly (with the old media and decor being moved into this to help with completing the cycling).
Thanks for everyone's help so far! I never thought picking this thing up off the side of the road was going to lead to such a hassle when trying to set it up.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ok so no overflow then. how does water drain from the display into the back chambers?

also if it will be freshwater, take that skimmer out. you do not need it. that was for saltwater.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
there are 2 "vents" on the right side of the back wall that allows the water over to the other side. I'm not sure how that effects the filtration, but I'm guessing it won't matter much for the betta.
someone had already suggested taking out the skimmer. I think I will keep it just in case I change my mind at a later date, but it doesn't really seem to be working, so I'm not sure it would even be an option. I am planning on adding additional media to where the skimmer is. I also wanted to try an algea turf scrubber in the refugium section since I have the light for it. Any additional filtration is a huge plus in my eyes.
Are there any freshwater plants that would grow on the back wall? I know I'm picturing moss for a terrarium, but I was wondering if somethign like that existed for tanks? I think I will go ask under the "plants" section... also going to look up what else may enjoy living in the tank with Might Mouse since there will be a decent amount of space.

Finkle

New Fish
Aug 3, 2014
Did you ever get this 9 gallon set up and running? I have one too. Would like to ask you a question and answer yours. I have had several all in one tanks and can explain this one.