Got a filter question

May 4, 2011
Ohio
Can't seem to find any actual sponge filters, well one but no replacement airstones for it. Could I use an internal filter like a Tetra Whisper 10i? Or something smaller like for a 6 gal or 3 gal, using my own filter pad as media? What are my options here? For info it is a 10 us gal tank and it will be used to rear molly, guppy and cory cats.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I use just an hob for my ten gallon and it works fine, but if you want a sponge filter I think they're pretty cheap and easy to make.

May 4, 2011
Ohio
Just that I was told a HOB or internal like the Tetra Whisper 10i would be too strong, either suck up babies or they could not res. Is a tetra whisper 10i safe for them then? I could cut some of my marineland filter pad to fit I think

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I stopped using an air stone in sponge filters long ago. The air stones clog up after a while. I just attach an air tube to the sponge filter and allow the big bubbles to create a flow as they rise up in a column. How you attach the air tube will depend on the how the sponge filter is made. On the older ones I simply push the air tube thru a hole in the side of the hard plastic tube near the bottom. I have had to bulge out the end of the soft air tube once inserted to keep it from pulling out. The hard plastic nipple from an old air stone, or something like it, will do nicely. Another style has the air tube attached at the top in the center with an extension that goes down into the filter, I just leave the air stone off.
Over time the opening at the end of the air tube will clog up with a mineral like deposit. I take a paperclip and break the deposit loose. This restores the air flow and allows a nice column of bubbles. It works fine.

I also found some open pore sponge material at walmart a few months ago to replace the decades old sponge part of some very ancient sponge filter bases. A couple of sections have been in my QT for some months now with good results.

May 4, 2011
Ohio
Ok I am looking at Tom's mini filter for 1-5 gallons, it is a 3-stage internal-submersible filter. Does anyone have any experience using an under-sized filter for the fry tank? The main concern was the flow rate, didn't want fry getting pushed around or sucked up, also the bad reviews that Tetra products were getting.

I guess my question is, is a up to 5 gallon filter going to be able to handle the bio-load until I separate them into my male tank (29 gal) and female tank (40 gal)? I plan on finding a store to take them before I actually set up the breeder, just want opinions on this filters ability to keep this tank healthy.