goldfish???

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
I went to my friends house a few times this week and he has four comet goldfish in a ten gallon tank he's tried putting them in his 55 gallon tank but they go into shock but as soon as he puts them back in his ten gal they are fine i just wanna know is their something wrong with his fish?

Also his 55 gallon tank is cycled,only fish that were in their were the goldies but he took them out since then he's stocked it with a pelco and 2 angel fish, 10 glofish his goldies are still in his ten gallon with water changes every 3 days.

His tank levels for his ten gallon is amm 0 nitrites 0 and ph of 9
His tank levels for his 55 gallon last time i seen was amm 0 nitrites 0 ph 11

He asked me to post this he's really worried about em.

i wish i had 55 gallon tank x.x

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
He should not be switching them back and fourth a lot. Every fish will get shocked at some point. Temperature will sometimes be the answer. It takes sometime for a fish to get used to a new tank. Unless they get sick, I think there is no problem. Why is the Ph level so high?

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I would check your pH test because those levels are really, really high (I am surprised anything is alive if it really is 11 in the 55g). If they are right, then the pH is the reason they're going into shock... pH goes up by a factor of 10, so a pH higher by 2 is really 100 times more basic. If they are right and he really wants them into the 55g, he would need to acclimate them very slowly... like maybe taking out 1g of water from the 10g and replacing it with water from the 55g, every 1-2 days until the levels are more similar.

But, if there are tropical fish in the 55g now the goldfish would not be compatible anyways.

Oct 25, 2006
Coolville, Ohio
If those Ph levels are correct then his 10g has a Ph the same as baking soda, and the 55g has about the Ph of cleaning ammonia. I would re-test the Ph, because those levels are extremely high for fish to be living in. Maybe the test kit is bad, what kit do you use?

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
I could be wrong but that's what he told me :\ , i don't think they are right myself but i though i'd post what he told me they were,i think i'll take my test kit and test it myself >_> next time i visit or at least i'll tell him to buy a new one.

And he told me he had them in their a week and they stopped moving/eating and thats when he desided to move them back to the ten gal, he's tried it a couple months ago too but thats it.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Sounds like the tank wasn't cycled then -- within a week, the ammonia would have built up enough for them to exhibit these symptoms, putting them back into the tank they came from would have shown improvement, even if some of the biofilter was lost (it could have been somewhat sustained if sufficient food and mulm was left in the gravel) Those fish have no business in a 10 gallon. Unfortunately, he has closed their escape hatch by filling the 55 with fish which also have no place in a 10..... :(

There is no way the pH is correct, however the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates will bear checking in both tanks as well.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
When you say the fish went into shock, what exactly happened when he put them into the tank? Did they immediately freeze up and stop moving? The lights in the new tank may be too bright, the water may be a much different temperature than the tank they are coming from, both of those could make a fish go into shock immediately.

I second you redoing those readings yourself.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
I was'nt their when he put them in but he said he match the temp perfectly or close enough 1 degree off ,He slowly added water in the cups he had them in and put them in as soon as they swam out of the cups they frozen stiff,clamped fins and sunk to the bottom breatheing heavy.Also he's getting another tank which he'll cycle and try to put the goldies in .

;-; also it looks like i can't go over their for a while so i won't be able to take any readings with my test kit,i have to stay home and help my mom out allot.

calico_

Small Fish
Oct 10, 2005
Milan, Italy
I don't really think angels and goldfish in a tank is a good idea, but anyway I agree, 9 is a very high ph and, particularly angels can't stand such a parameter.
moving fishes from a tank to another is something one should do carefully and slowly, it's not only about throwing them into the tank... in any case, provided all parameters are ok and the temp is exactly the same as the old tank's, fish need time to adjust. it's a good idea to move them in the evening when lights are off. sometimes, they require a week and more to start feeling at home.

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
ooo what did you do to get that kind of lock down!!!

How cool or warm was his water he put the fish in too?Goldies like 60 water theya re not tropicals so the warmth might be freaking them out too.
or jsut teh darn stress of moving so much.
I do hope the goldies are ok.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
well my mom is gonna have a baby and has to stay off her feet so all her chores came to me.and thats allot of chores DX.

well i heard from my friend and he finally moved them =D and they are doing fine in his 150 gal tank.Also he found out every time he moved them before the water was 75 in the new tank,his tank readings were incorrect before he said they are amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 7 Ph 8 his test kit was messed up before.

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
well first of all, good luck to your mom.. even though i know your exhausted!! :)

second, the 150 gallon tank sounds great.. sounds like your friend is lucky!! hope the goldies are doing well. maybe he'll be able to get us some pictures!!

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
Heh she had to take over her chores and mine,i've gotten really sick lately and can't do anything without not being able to breathe.

he's like me we both have no cameras DX,and ya he's lucky also i'll let you in on what makes him lucky he makes most his tanks and has about 23 of em,his dad owns a place where they make glass and such i think.