Goldfish With Dropsy

May 15, 2009
OK, so after a couple days of lethargy, which I thought was a result of some minor swim bladder problems, I came home tonight to find my Unmei in the throes of what is almost certainly dropsy: Distended abdomen, scales sticking out from the body, etc. My question is this: is there any treatment for it when it reaches this stage? Or would it be best to euthanize? If euthanasia, what is the best method?

EDIT: I also checked my water conditions to see if it was caused environmentally, but everything checks out fine. Granted, I'm a day or two behind on my cleaning schedule (Stupid migraine, making me stay in bed for 48 hours.) Are there other causes of dropsy other than water-quality related bacterial/viral infections?

Last edited:

vampirefish

Medium Fish
Feb 23, 2009
York, UK
last time i had a fish with dropsy i found that putting a bit of salt in the water (epsom salts work well) helped get down the swelling. the dropsy might be caused by ulcers or other wounds, so some melafix might be a good idea as well. good luck!

vampirefish

Medium Fish
Feb 23, 2009
York, UK
when i had a shubunkin with dropsy, i isolated it and added a little bit of salt (epsom salts) to the water. the swelling went down, but the dropsy had been caused by massive ulcers on the fish's skin, so he died after a few days :( (this was before i discovered melafix) i'd recommend doing the whole epsom salt thing and then adding melafix if needed, or an anti parasite medication if that's the original problem. don't give up!