Goldfish Tankmates

I just rescued a goldfish from the paint store where my dad used to work. He is still quite small, so he is in my 10 gallon tank (I will be getting him a bigger one when I can afford it). I was wondering if there is an algae eater that can be put with a goldfish. *GOLDFISH*

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
While Cories CAN be kept in cold water, DO NOT DO IT. Goldfish have a tendancy to eat anything that fits in their mouths. The barbels on a cories mouth will catch and hook and both fish will usually die.

I read some where that golden dojo loaches do well in cooler water but you'd have to double check that. If you did loaches you'd need like 3, so you'd be talking a 30 to 50G tank for gold fish and freinds.

I can only think of Corys but you should only keep them in cold water if you want them to breed. Butterfly loaches live in coldwater so if you can find some of those get one. Correct me if im wrong anyone.
I would get a Butterfly Loach aka Hillstream Loach, but I have one in my 20g already, and if I got a new one I would be really tempted to put it in my other tank for a friend. All so, Hillstream Loaches need a current, of which my 20g has and my 10g doesn't. I would love to get another one, they are great fish.

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
call it "not knowledgeable at the time" but we had 3 goldfish once upon a time and in with the goldfish we had an albino catfish and a baby pleco. Unfortunetly the goldfish have died but my pleco is still alive and no longer a baby lol hes a BEAST

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
call it "not knowledgeable at the time" but we had 3 goldfish once upon a time and in with the goldfish we had an albino catfish and a baby pleco. Unfortunetly the goldfish have died but my pleco is still alive and no longer a baby lol hes a BEAST[/QUOTE

YUP! Perhaps it wasnt the smartest move, or the best for the pleco...but we had a common pleco go from baby to probably 4in in a coldwater tank. Wait, no...we had goldfish living in a warm water tank...scratch that. OOPS! (this was pre-MFT, so no worries, right?)

So pleco v. coldwater idk
Pleco v. goldfish *thumbsup2