Goldfish ill? :S

crashc

New Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Hey there I have to gold fish which I've had for about 3+ months now and the past few weeks I've been watching them more then usual and they seem to stay at the bottom of the tank at times. :s One is worse then the other and has long stays at the bottom and is doing it as I type now (Been there for 20mins so far) They seem 100% healthy, no spots, rot or anything, and I've been doing 25% water changes regularly and feeding them once a day.. :S Tomorrow I'm going to try a 50% water change and not feed them for a week because I was told they may be constipated?

Just seems odd because one is swimming round like always and the the other is sticking to the bottom and having a little swim now and again :s :s

Hope you guys can help i'd hate to lose one so soon :( I'll keep you updated with the water change and the hunger strike. :(

crashc

New Fish
Mar 9, 2009
I'm not sure on the tank size its over 14 liters i think?(Temp tank) with a filter in. :) And yes I've been putting the right amount of drops tap water treatment in each change :)

Been down there a while now.. must be over 30mins :( other ones swimming about and seem quite happy

crashc

New Fish
Mar 9, 2009
--- Update I put a tiny amount of food in the tank (I mean a little tiny bit) and the fish is back up at the top and is swimming normally and not struggling at all :s

crashc

New Fish
Mar 9, 2009
did you let the tank cycle before you added the fish? It seems to me like there could be an ammonia problem. That's way too small for goldfish. The tank probably can't handle the load.
Tank was left over a day before I put the fish in :) i know the tank is small but its the biggest one I have for now (Damn being skint) I got them as a gift in a bowl and moved them to the tank with the filter as soon as I could. They seem healthy and happy for now and there still no bigger then a inch atm but have grew since I got them

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
you need to get yourself a bigger tank

1 goldfish needs 10 gallons (38 litres)

Ammonia poisoning is very likely

Not to step on your toes but the normal recommedation for 1 goldfish is 20G then 10G for each additional goldfish. 2 goldfish = 30G tank

Have you checked your water parameters ammonia,nitrite, nitrate? That would give us more info to help you with.

Last edited: