Goldfish Help!?!

Jbass88

Small Fish
Apr 13, 2013
Grand Blanc
Hey everyone Im a little concerned for my goldfish (fancy tailed). He has black on his fins and skin. I read online this is healing from ammonia burns (please verify). He was in a bowl and is now in a tank that has been treated for ammonia and soon will be in a larger tank.

current chemical levels are:
ammonia : 0
Ph : 7.2
nitrate : 2 (just preformed water change to correct this is the before stats)
Nitrate : 10
Chlorine : 0
Kh : 120

just need to know if i should be concerned or if hes just healing natrually

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I'm not sure about the black spots on your goldy, but it sounds like your nitrogen cycle is progressing. The fact you've got nitrates shows that. Congrats to you!

I assume you meant nitrite : 2 and not "nitrate : 2". Good call on immediately doing a WC, because nitrite is dangerous to fish.

Jbass88

Small Fish
Apr 13, 2013
Grand Blanc
yes i did... awesome glad the tank is cycling and im pretty sure its just him healing from the poor conditions he lived in for near a week. at least that's what one site said.

Jbass88

Small Fish
Apr 13, 2013
Grand Blanc
Ok so from what I have read this is attributed to higher ammonia and/or nitrite levels. Since my tank is still cycling its stressing him out and he's not getting better (actually darker). Ive read that the only thing I can do is keep up on balancing the ammonia and nitrite levels back to or close to 0 as possible with water changes (25-50% depending) every few days but I also don't want this to slow down the cycle process. So if anyone else has experienced this am I doing the right thing with my checks and changes or is there a treatment I should be giving? (only treatment I use on the tank is ammonia reducer because of the goldfish)

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You really need to do daily water changes of at least 50% until both your ammonia and nitrIte are at zero. This will not affect your cycling process because most of the beneficial bacteria are not in the water column, but on surfaces.

Jbass88

Small Fish
Apr 13, 2013
Grand Blanc
Awesome I will defenitly be doing that. Glad to know it wont affect the cycle processes. We had a close call with our goldfish today but I think we saved him. He was acting pretty lazy... the temp was way to high for him and the levels had spiked as well. We did another change (used slightly cooler water) and hes doing well again.... never realized keeping fish alive was such a battle... now the temp is in the high 60s low 70s (from what I understand fantailed fancy goldfish like temps around that range and hate anything above 75) our tank was close to 80 prior.... man was I scared, hope he keeps doing well during this transitional period and will be letting his upgraded tank cycle fully before putting him in...

thanks again everyone and if anyone knows more about this please add, all the info I have been getting has been very very helpful!