Goldfish Help!!!!

MrNiteOwl

Small Fish
May 15, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I was at Petco yesterday and saw a red fantail. RED:eek:! Not the dark orange that is considered red in the goldfish. I couldn't let that poor guy stay looking all miserable just floating next to the filter. I took him home and put him in my 1.5 to QT him to see if he turns around for the best. I know that that isn't the best place to keep him in but I don't want to put him in with the rest of my goldies in case he is sick. Does anyone have any suggestions that I can do? I will post pix of him later so you guys can see what I am talking about. I think he was dyed. Thanx.... I know you guys will help....

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I've seen some that were awfully red. They're very nice looking, IMHO.

Since a goldie excretes so much ammonia, I think he'd be better off in a rubbermaid container, a five-gallon bucket, any sort of large container over that betta tank. If you have an air pump, some tubing, some filter floss and an empty container, you can have a sponge filter up and running in a few minutes: A 5 Minute DIY Sponge Filter, by Sam Davies

This one uses a powerhead and would work for a larger container such as a big rubbermaid bin: Make your own sponge filter