Goldfish gulping air not sure why

Mar 16, 2010
Hey everyone, new to the forum.

I currently have 2 fancy goldfish in a 20g long tank. My Ryukin keeps gulping air at the surface and I can't figure out why. It keeps pooping these long clear strands with bubbles in them. I have an air stone set up making a decent bubble wall so I don't think its lack of oxygen as the Black Moor in the tank doesn't gulp. I feed them a mix of goldfish flakes (which I presoak and sink to the bottom), blanched greens, and peas because I thought it might be a swim bladder issue. I also fast them for a day. I change 20% of the water weekly, vacuuming gravel and when I test the water everything reads normal. I have a pH reading of 7.0, 0ppm of nitrites and nitrates around 20ppm.

If anyone has any ideas as to why she suddenly has been gulping at the surface the information would be appreciated thanks!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Thats fairly odd. your readings for ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm correct? 20 ppm nitrates at the end of a week, right before your water change is acceptable, so there should not be a problem there...

Their diet should consist of feeding vegetables (blanched spinach, romaine lettuce, zucchini, cucumber, and frozen green peas) at least 2 days a week. green peas should be fed at least 1 day a week on a regular basis, not only when something looks wrong. A combination of high quality flake and pellet helps, as do frozen and freeze-dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and freeze-dried tubifex cubes as treats. those protein foods should only be fed 2-3 days a week.

It sounds like you are doing everything fine. how is the flow in the tank? Generally I would say that 20 gallons for two fancies will work short-term but when they approach their full-grown size (wont be for many years) you may need to get a 40 gallon.

O, and make sure you do not mess with your pH. don't do ANYTHING to make it read 7. goldfish do fine at a pH of more than 7 so make sure you do not use any pH altering chemicals or buffers...

Keep an eye on that goldfish and tell us how it fares.

Feb 27, 2009
A bubble wall may not be breaking the surface of the water enough. The actual bubbles don't add oxygen to the water, its the ripple they make at the surface that counts. If there is an adjustment on it, have it make larger more forceful bubbles or move it up in the water column (closer to the surface).

Do you have a 'waterfall' type filter? If so, try lowering the tank level a bit to let it 'splash' more. Also, what is the temperature of the tank? Warmer water holds less oxygen that cool water.

Just some ideas...Good luck with the goldies!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
right, yes lower your water level a little if you have a hang-on-back filter that creates a waterfall.

also keep your temps at standard goldfish temps, which should be rather cool water ~68F

Mar 16, 2010
thanks for the quick replies. actually got a more powerful air pump today so we'll see if that helps. the temp is at ~68-70 degrees. brought a water sample to the pet store just to get a second reading in case i was getting false readings but the lady said everything looked perfect. i'll give lowering the water level a try. its just so weird that only one of the two fish is gulping air and conditions seem optimal.