Goldfish going from REALLLY stressed to back as normal (Video)

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
So I am recording everything i can observe while I am setting this new ~30 gallon tank for 2 goldfishes.

I made a mistake by not cycling the water, Didnt even knew the concept, wasnt told by the shop ( i think he wanted the fishes to die so i buy new ones from him) and moved my Goldfish to this new tank. I panicked as i learned all info on websites like this and had really juggle to see this pair are alive, I am going to stay alert for 20 more days, its been 10 days now in this NEW tank.

So below are the goldfish, Totally stressed due to Improper assimilation ( i didnt put them in bag and floated it in new tank , simply mixed water from new tank to old jar and hope that does it and moved the fishes to tank ).

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4AAZYpIYF_U&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4AAZYpIYF_U&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

The big male ( i think he is male, anyone here please confirm ) was resting like this under a leaf for WHOLE day, didnt move and would suddenly go wacko and crash on tank wall or move to top of tank and keep still there..for hours.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wreG8U3Ajfs&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wreG8U3Ajfs&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

So i came here posted, by googling around and reading , This is what I did.

* Turned off all lights in tank for almost 2 days. Till i saw positive changes.
* Made sure the room was dark (didnt see TV in this room for 2 days) and made sure the room is totally dark even in night .
* Didnt feed them much actually, just 2-3 pellets to test are they really hungry, they didnt eat at all , so i didnt push.
* Used a destressing fluid which dissolves hard-minerals in water, its blue in colour and no real name, made locally by the shop the branded bottle by Tetra costs 10-times more.

After 30 hours, i saw the fishes coming really alive and playful when i stood near tank to observe. Below is small vid on how their behaviour changed.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqMnuRgXNI0&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqMnuRgXNI0&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Still on watch , but they are really playing around. I even managed to change some 10% of water today they are still playing around. Almost brush my hands when i was trying to quickly give sponge-wipe to inside of tank.

hope this helps everyone here. Of-course, any other suggestions/tips are ALWAYS welcomed.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqMnuRgXNI0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqMnuRgXNI0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Okay what the hell? I was able to embed youtube easily before, What happened now? MODSSS!!!!! please help!!!!!.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
humm, i suppose there are no moderators on MFT .. i would like to become one :) as i am going to heavily frequent this site for next year till i completely absorb all this aquatic kb ( and become uncertified marine biologist :p ..kidding)

Apr 14, 2008
I tried copying the URL's into my browser[firefox] and they worked, they just took up the entire browser[alittle too big, especially too big for anyone using 800x600 res. as I use 1366x768, granted, a weird res...] *I have a widescreen laptop*

When I removed parts of the code[0&hl=en_US&fs=1&], it still worked, but I couldn't get it normal[showing the youtube portion], so you'll have to do it.I tried, from there individual letters/numbers, but still couldn't get it normal. :(

PS. I'm not a mod. lol

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Firstly, that light really did not help them at all. for the first few days you should keep the lights in the tank off.
Otherwise they were pretty overwhelmed with the change.

But make sure you keep testing that water. active goldfish can be decieving. they might be playing around, leaping out of the water at feeding time, but the water could be on its way to ammonia hell, and the next thing you know you wake up to two dead goldfish...

Not to freak you out or anything :)

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
yea man, ppl need to see it, discover it, i am so surprised no one has ever talked or seen it. although i never ever sought for any info like this, but i didnt came across any such behaviour talks/notes (even randomly) on social sites.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Sorry, let me rephrase , I mean ' didnt come across goldfish herbivorous eating habits on social sites i roam around for random news/links , eg: reddit,digg,delicious and many others' .

and ofcourse i never ever visited any community tank, fish, aquarium sites ever, which i should had done long time ago, when i was seeing this fish thing is going to be become serious in coming months, I simply bought new tank, asked the shop and dumped the fish like a muppet and then started browsing for fish sites. and got bombarded with info which i should had know.

Anyway. i am glad i got to know all this before my new tank became water-coffin for this old fishies here... (and yea i know i am still not out_of_woods and still being extra careful).

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol, right most people do what you did. or some like me get tired of fish dying and start researching just like that. i think i've been past more than 90 goldfish deaths in 12 years :(

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
lol, right most people do what you did. or some like me get tired of fish dying and start researching just like that. i think i've been past more than 90 goldfish deaths in 12 years :(

sorry, i have to say this , "Jeeesus efffingggg Chhrisssst". so you were goldies undertaker for long time eh. :p

I think i might have seen my dad and sis killing (they died but i say killed due to extremely improper condition and care by them) 8 goldies in 3 yrs time. Once 4 goldies died as my sis enthusiatic added some nasty looking fish... he killed ALL of them at night.. my sis got angry and killed that black fish (maybe it was some catfish or some sucker fish which sticks to glass all time) by making him swim constantly, when i came home they told me . i was like... hummm. so thats when i decided enuf of seeing them repeatedly fail at this and i started taking care of next 4 goldie babies , 2 died in last summer, but this pair have survived, again and again in summer and v v nasty winter (in this very sunny tropical region that i live , going to 4 degree cel. was too much ).

so thats yea, i am kinda forced into this hobby, but i am liking it :). its nice distraction from the extreme boring work that i have to do with computers/codes/servers. which can become mundane...i mean v mundane after 11 yrs now (osx,iphone-coding etc has really freshened it up btw).

:)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol yea my story is very similar in that my mom just threw goldfish into the 40 gal whenever the old ones died. she never cycled any tanks, she would replace all filter media at once, rinse it in tap water, etc etc... i had enough so i took the tank. but now i cant seem to rehome the one goldfish that survived. its really been enjoying the clean water and tropical temps and food in the tank. So now im kinda stuck with it as a curse, cuz i cant rehome it because it is technically not my fish. This one goldfish really restricts what i can house in my 40 cuz right now im already over stocked at 107%...