glossostigma

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
What is best way to plant this. It came tied, which I untied, and I planted it kinda deep(as suggested by Johnny). It is starting to creep slightly, but should I spread it out some?

Right now it is still in two big clumps. Not sure if I should take lots of little clumps and spread them out some?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
hey mrb,

usually it's sold as a vertical growing plants. so what you have to do is snap the stems off (i usually try to leave at least 5 leaves per stem) and plant them into the substrate. it's a bit of a chore at first cause most of them will float to the top and you'll have to replant them. but keep at it and it'll stay down eventually.

also, it'll look pretty ugly for awhile until the glosso starts to grow sideways. then it'll start filling out at the bottom.

i found the best and fastest way to cover the ground is to take small clumps and plant them like a checkerboard.

johnny

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
hey mrb,

cool looking tank. i saw your specs. they seem to be fine. noticed that your glosso leaves were pretty big. that's okay also. when i bought mine..it was sold as a vertical growing plant. but with enough light and c02..it'll settle into the substrate and start producing smaller leaves.

i should've taken a picture of my tank when i first planted them..man..did it look bad. but patience is a virtue and it does grow pretty fast. i find that it really takes off after it intersects with another patch of glosso for some odd reason.

i don't quite know why your roots are rotting tho. did you damage them as you planted them? do you have any trumpet snails? they do a good job of moving the subtrate. at night my entire tank would be covered with them. quite a sight.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
oh yeah...the pictures i posted of my tank...that took a few months to get to that point. so it'll take awhile. be patient and you'll be rewarded with a nice mat of glosso.

and i really mean a mat. when i tore mine out to give to dattack, it was literally one giant piece that i had to break apart to fit into bags.

hey dattack..so how are the glossso doing?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have to get rid of my loaches,  they are digginng through the glosso area.  My lighting is inadequate right now.  Only 2W/g.  I need to ramp it up to 4 if I can.  Still trying to finish the DIY lighting for it.
These suckers need a lot of light.

Oct 22, 2002
I just bought some of this stuff about 3 days ago, got a clump about the size of a quarter in diameter and I split it into about 4 smaller clumbs and just shoved it down into the gravel, the guy who sold it to me (1.99) told me to float a few on the top of my tank, and when it produces some roots then to plant them, so I left a few stems up there floating about...I'll let you know what happens with them:)
I hope I get the same luck you guys have!!

My tank:
4x48" bulbs, pressurized CO2 system and dosing with Florish Iron/Potassium/trace, occassionaly root tabs, water change 15-20% every week or two
Tank mates:
3 siamese algae eaters
2 false siamese algae eaters
3 ottos
1 11" rope fish
1 3" discus
1 7" black ghost knife.
soon to add a small contingent of ghost shrimp (15-30)
and maybe 3-4 flying foxes
Pics coming soon.

PS-I have a nasty case of beard algae...anything to be done about that? got it before I added extra lighting and CO2, now can't get rid of it:(

Oct 22, 2002
my LFS guy was right on. After planting several clumps which have proceeded to grow straight up I realized thats gotta be the wrong way to do it:) The clump that I had let float on the surface sprung roots all over the place, so I just dropped it down into the gravel and put a little on top of it and a little stone and 2 days later it is firmly rooted into the substrate already and looks great!

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I also noticed some that floated to the top growing roots. My one smaller clump is already going to town!!

I think the key is very small groups planted deep.

Now do the original first runners in a few monthes need to be trimmed? (must be a pain)
or
are they gloss leaves always nice and green forever?  ::)

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
the older leaves will die off just like any other plants. i never trimmed mine. what happened was that the new glosso would basically grow over the old one..and my amano shrimps and trumpet snails would take care of the dead ones for me.

the only problem with that was the layer of glosso started to get thicker and higher. =)

Nov 28, 2013
What is best way to plant this. It came tied, which I untied, and I planted it kinda deep(as suggested by Johnny). It is starting to creep slightly, but should I spread it out some?

Right now it is still in two big clumps. Not sure if I should take lots of little clumps and spread them out some?
I saw your first post, which was this and then I saw your signature - you have a lot of african cichlids, would Glossostigma be alright with those cichlids?