Glass help

Apr 29, 2011
My sister inlaw just dropped off 2 pieces of glass.

Written in coner it states:
Tempered
16 CFR 1201-CII
Ansi Z97.1-1984
1/8U SGCC-598
AFG C201
BS6202A

Anyone know what this crap means?
Just wondering if I could use this in making a breeder tank?Thoughts or suggestions are very welcome!
Will wait for responses!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I know what the word "tempered" indicates. Tempered glass cannot be cut or drilled. It will shatter into hundred of thousands of pea sized pieces. You will have to use it in it's present size.

I have three sliding door panels of tempered glass that I picked up from a friend. Had the same notion of making a tank. I would have four panels, but tried to cut one. Makes a very loud noise when it shatters. Project is on hold untill I determine if the glass can handle the pressure of water.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Follow up with small correction. Meant to say the glass will shatter into hundreds to thousands of pieces. A sliding door panel will be in thousands. The piecies took weeks to find and sweep up. When it goes, it shatters across the entire panel. I had a panel laid out on a flat work table and was trying to cut a portion off of one end. It shattered completely across the panel to the other end. Some portions were more or less together, but fell into small bits when picked up.

One concern about using the tempered glass as a tank will be the way it shatters. If a tank ever broke it would dump all the water at one time.

I was involved with a homemade tank of over 100 gallons many years ago. Plate glass was used. It did eventually break, but simply cracked across one panel and allowed the water to leak out slowly. I had time to move all the fish and plants.

fhk9

New Fish
May 22, 2011
Tempered glass are very strong material.
Project is on hold untill I determine if the glass can handle the pressure of water.
it all depend how high the tank you want to built. the highest the size the thicker glass it need. Hopefully my info help.