Glass Eels?

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
I've been looking into glass eels (baby American Eels) but it's hard to find information pertaining to aquariums and glass eels. Most of the stuff I've found only talks about how Japan loves to eat them. So my question is has anyone ever keep a glass eel or American eels? Also American eels are freshwater (sometimes) so if I were to put them in a tank (most likely won't just curious), would livebearer be a good mix or are they too slow. Thanks for any info.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
If you keep glass eels, you have to make sure there are NO spaces for it to crawl out - including your filter. They can get out in very tiny spaces. I don't think you want to find dried up eels on the floor ;) I've kept them, but they've usually ended up as food for my other fish, unfortunatly... It would be better if you found older eels that have already pigmented out and are a little thicker. Make sure you keep some driftwood for them to hang out by. Eels like hanging out under tree roots, out of sight, and then they'll come out to feed at night.