Giant Oto

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Just thought I would share a couple of pics of a pretty rare Hypoptopoma. They have the common name giant Oto but are not a member of any Oto species. They are Hypoptopoma gulare. One of the best algae eaters I have ever owned. I keep them in my 90 gal and they have been in there for going on 5 yrs now and not once have I ever seen any trace of diatoms or any other algae in this tank.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Just 3 of them. I bought them wile I was looking for an algae eater that the sevs that were in this tank couldn't eat. Sadly it was the only time I have ever seen them available. I have never seen them available on AB or anywhere else online.

Their behavior is very much like the normal Oto. They are out all day and never cave up like other plecos. They are by far more hardy than reg Otos.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
LOL Matt...Time to start clicking some new pics. I'm bout to have a photo shoot myself. I've been starving my pleco tank so they will come out for food when I'm ready.

Sorry I shoulda mentioned that BV. They are about 2.5-3 inches TL.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Lol...well I'm glad he seems to be growing nicely.
I think he (is it actually a 'he'?) oughta do fine in with my oscar.
There was a time when I was keeping spotted raphaels in with him a few months back, and they did fine just as long as they had hiding spots. Same thing with the young (3-4") common pleco I had in with him; except that the salvini kept shredding the poor plec (neither of them are in this setup anymore though, so no worries).

BV