Generic Qs about Canister Filter

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I recently set up my Rena XP2, and I read in general about canister filters that you don't want air build up in them. I can pretty much constantly hear air bubbles going through the filter, and I can see tiny ones coming out of the spraybar. What's going on? I have a cuddle bone stuck in one of the baskets for my snail shells, and I was thinking it might somehow be reacting and causing this. Or...

It looks like algae has started growing in the in/out tubes that go to and from the tank. It thought maybe it was producing oxygen or something that was getting sucked into the filter. I know you don't want algae to the level that your tubes get clogged, obviously, but is what's going on with mine right now normal? I'm calling it algae, but its white, so that might not even be what it is. I'm really sure.

I currently have both my old filter and my new filter running at the same time to avoid having to cycle my tank again. They've been running together for about three weeks, and I'm planning on taking off the old filter this weekend. Is that too soon, or can I go ahead and do it now if I want to?

Does it sound like I'm doing everything right though? This is my first experience with any sort of canister and it sort of all just makes me nervous...