General Goldfish Advice by Iggy!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
that depends on where you live...and on your ambient room temp. they do not need chillers if your room temps don't get over 75-76F in the summer. if you live in the tropics then yea either get a chiller or go with tropical fish lol.
they do fine w/o chillers at temps lower than 75F but will need a heater if you drop below 55-60F (for fancies)

And just to avoid confusion 75F is quite hot for them but not life-threatening. just in the hottest summer days that temp will be ok. they generally like the cooler water though of 65-70F

As for the Goldfish + Swordtails I would say no for a few reasons.
1. I am currently keeping a goldfish in a swordtail tank (not by my own will)
2. Goldfish will be quite aggressive to your tropical swordtails.
3. The goldfish will get Ich for a while if they're kept at tropical temps of 76-80F which is best for swordtails. goldfish will get over the ich tho and will get used to it...
4. The goldfish's requirements are vastly different in terms of temperature...they just won't grow as large in hotter water.
5. they will have a shorter life span with swordtails because hotter water increases their metabolism and therefore they live their lives much faster than a goldfish in the ideal conditions ;)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2010
Hello all
just some advice i did have 4 fish in my tank when i got up i found 1 dead at the bottom of the tank the other 3 was fine 3hours later all my fish was at the bottom of the tank alive i got worried so i thought i'd remove the fish from the tank and put them in to bags just temp to find out what was going on
when i checked all the gravel i found a 5p coin

my Q. is could have this 5p coin caused my fish to act this way

Jun 27, 2011

Hi all, Im a newbie to the forum and decided to come here because I am confused as to why my goldfish of 14 years, Stanley, has died. :( We knew each other well and he would respond to my voice. There are some very conflicting views on web sites and I wish I had not listened to some...maybe Stan would still be with us, had I acted earlier on the treatment regime maybe he would not have struggled for the past 24 hours. I have decided to join the forum therefore to try and filter out what is and is not good advise for the future, as I try to unravel what went/what I did wrong for Stan. What I have read so far has impressed me in it's friendliness and reassuring tones from those who have added replies and discussions. I am not attempting to hijack anything but still haven't sussed out how to put on an independent question yet!! Iggy your start up was very positive! It made me sign up!!!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi Nedsta:
A good place to start here is Freshwater General Questions near the top of the site. Click on that section, then you will see "Post New Thread" in a box near the top of your screen. That area gets more regular traffic, so you may hear some good feedback from other members.
Sorry for your loss; and welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
Laura

Jan 10, 2012
Thank you for the goldfish advice. I now know not to put a goldfish into my new 26 litre tank. Does anyone have any reccomendations on what cold water fish would be suitable? Thank you!

robynz

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2012
Accordingly, one goldfish to ten gallons of water. In 26 liter of tank, fish will die because of overcrowding. One really needs to know the ratio of water to every kind of fish to be able to keep them. Happy fishing.

GaryL

New Fish
Jan 9, 2013
Windsor Ont Cda
Two goldies in a 10 gal is pushing it but if you keep up with the water changes(50% once a week) and have good filtration you can do it until they outgrow the space. I know thats contrary to what most will say but I have kept fish now for more than 15 yrs. I dont pretend to be an expert, and am just going by what has worked for me. Glad to see a forum for Goldies.