Gars

May 11, 2003
Canada
C-Man don't worry about it.... these fish are like the size of pencils.......

Trouthead -> the needle-nose is a SE Asian Gar....

In the lakes that I've fished in you see long-nose gars patroling the surface near breakwalls and weedbeds.... These fish aren't for eating, but they do put up a great fight on light tackle.... Some people catch them to put them on their walls since they make a great conversation piece...

The ones that I have seen in the wild are around 3 feet long and 4 - 6 inches in diameter.... Their mouths are about 1/3 of their body length and full of razor sharp teeth.....

*celebrate

Last edited:

mariners

Large Fish
Aug 31, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
LOL c-man i thought you where going to say a 55 gallon or something not a 10. You know what would be fun, if c-man posted in a more well read forum (eg. General) that he keeps them in a 10, then a new person to mft did the same, who would get the most bashings? i'm thinking the second one.

Rokl33t

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
hey im trying to get me some gars, but i dunno wat size tank to get, i was planning to get a 10 gal tank but people at the pet store said i need like a 50 gal. So would a 10 gal be ok?

and wat fish can a gar live with?

*GASP* cman! im ashamed at you for doing such a baad thing! lmao, jk!

wow, ive seen these dudes at my petsmart, theres a shoal of them in thems tank, i feel bad for them..

just the other week (;)) there were these people there, a mom, aunt and 2-3 kids, i forgot. well they seem to have immigrated, or possibly there as a trip/tour from else where. now they werent english, and the girl brought her mom to the needles and they began laughing at the names. oddly i got really pissed and i really wanted to yell at them, lol.

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
The 'silver gar' is definitely NOT a true gar. It is one of the needlefish....related to the halfbeaks. They can get quite large and a 10 gallon isn't going to house it for very long.

As for the 'real' gars.....well.....I'll let this picture of a 6-footer speak for itself: