Gar facts plz

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
More agressive?

As in kill everything in your tank in one minute or two minutes?

I had a needlenose before, if it can fit across its mouth it would kill it! They will not eat dried food at all and grow to a foot long. They are fairly hardy, but will also jump out of the tank if not covered.

Rokl33t

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
wat would u recomend buddy? a silver or a niddle?
i mean i like the silver cuz it doesn't grow that big, unlike needles. I like how the needle eats the guppies, and i only say the silver eat dried brime shrimp or watever.

agressiveness i mean like which one is more entertaining to watch

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Well from what I have experenced, they are not very livley unless they are hunting for prey. Mainly just hover in one area untill something swims close enough for it to catch.

Really some gars are not very agresive. They are ambush hunters. And I never really took a fish's entertainment value to be how agresive it was.

I dont agree with keeping a fish just to able to watch it eat other fish. If however this is what you are looking for there are some better options out there, but they would all require a large 75+ gallon tank. Some of your south american cichlids will eat smaller fish when they get bigger, but are easy to maintain on pellet food.

I dont think you have fully taken into account of a fish that only eats live prey. One , it will get expenceive having to buy feeders constantly to keep the fish in good health. Two, what are you going to do if the LFS runs out of feeders, and will be unable to get more in for several weeks? A lot of your preditory fish have a high metabolisim, meaning that they need to eat almost constantly to maintain good health. I have heard lots of people say that they will buy sometype of live bearer to produce food for the fish, however the fry would take well over six months to reach a size that would be nutritinal for the preditory fish.

Just a few things to think about before you purchase.

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
I'm surprised the silver was eating dried food as they also prefer live food. As Orion mentioned above, be sure this is what you want, aside from the attack during feeding these are rather boring fish, they will hover on the surface forever, hardly moving.

And yes they do get quite expensive to feed, the needlenose will eat things much bigger than guppies too. Med size feeders were needed to keep mine happy after not too long. This is definately not a fish I would recommend to someone that isn't 100% aware of all its needs. Do some research on these first. Try a google search and read as much as you can before adding one of these to any tank.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I kept the Hujeta Gar before, and if I remember corectly it had read several times that it was best to keep food available for them at all times. Altho Im not real sure on this, been a while and cant remember. Someone back me up on this if they can. I'll google some myself and see.