Fuzz's 46g...O yeeeaaah!

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
(old thread:http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/rate-my-tank-freshwater/64256-20g-rcs-planted-tank.html)

I think new tank needs new thread...

I sent Levi, my fiance dude, to the store to pick up the 36g bowfront from petsmart. I had been saving for a bit...it was 30" and perfect to fit between my desk and wall! 30" is all the space I had to work with.

So what does he do! Brings up a 46g!!!...Bowfront!? I am not a fan. And I am just like uhm...that wont fit anywhere?? And the stand has a foot of enclosed room to store stuff in bottom...wtf? His reason: it was the same price! So I am all...ok I can deal.

So after moving the couch to where the TV was, and the TV to the corner the couch was in, and tore down the dog kennel...dog better not pee in my house or eat my thongs!), we found a spot for it. Then of course, no bolts to hold the shelves up on stand, so called and made them order some. Then no glass lid! So called and had it ordered.

My instructions before he left for work...fill up the tank, I don't wanna look at an empty tank when I get home.

So I filled it up!!! Thought I would share a pic of the completed version, lemme know what you think, if I should move stuff around, criticism very welcomed and encouraged!! The left middlish looked kinda empty.

Pics to come...

p.s. he got a betta...he who says female bettas are ugly...it was brown and strated and he says she beautiful!?! oh, to my surprise she is bright blue with some good light and good water!? :)

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
he texts me saying...I did NOT just pay over 200$ for you to store stuffed animals!

That panda was a present about 10 years ago when I was in the hospital and had my appendx removed :) That panda and the tiger were my fav and my daughter likes the tiger, and i got the husky for her :)

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Congratulations! Seems like there is always room for one more. Those female bettas do seem to get more colorful as they age. I have a couple that turned into real beauties.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
I am a fan of the females, simply for the fact I think people don't "see" them due to lack of color, but its amazing what some good water and time can do to brighten ther colors. I am officially going for the underdogs...brown strated girls and all. Figured I could get a good sized sorority in this tank.

And I need a little table tank for my desk, rescue a pretty boy betta...then one for the girls room. Levi doesnt see it as saving bettas from certain doom by cup...but as something else to cost money! lol He doesn't get the fish thing still.

Quality storing and visually appealing!!! Plus, safe from hands so it says pretty all the time! And...no water changes! Lol! I was so upset that the hang-from-ceiling thing on amazon to put stuffed animals in went from 8$-11$ ina day. I shoulda bought it when it was 8$! Darn the luck.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
Well, All the fish are sitting in the 20g.
Debating on canister filters atm, wanna get that installed first. Don't wanna fill up the tank then find out that I have to move it a smidge to fit everything!!!

Wolf was removed...but sadly I have no where else for the bear, my daughters bed is full and the bear and the horse don't get along so well. jealousy is an evil thing.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
So...kinda super very P/Od atm. Sent an email to petsmart about it, I will probably be sent an electronic reply. Woopee...Never been this upset though.

A bit taken from the email about what happened:
My husband picked the tank up for me, and when he got home I found that there was no glass lid to go on the tank. And the stand was missing the bolts to hold up the shelves.
I called that Monday, and spoke to a male employee who took down my number and apologized very politely, saying the lid was on backorder already and he would contact me in a couple days when it was in.
I called today, Feb. 23, to see if it had arrived and they had forgotten to call me.
The lady who answered was extremely rude, saying she'd put me on hold to find someone to help with my problem. She must have missed the button to put me on hold, because I heard everything she said. How "some lady supposedly didnt get her lid for her glass aquarium", and then went on to have casual banter wth the other employees while I sat pateintly on hold.
She proceeded to pass me onto a male employee, his name Tim or Tom, something along those lines. Where he then said he had not heard about this at all, and that he was unsure how to handle this meaning I could just be making this up to get a free glass lid. Where I was extremely offended. He then said he would talk to a general manager about the problem but that I would probably just get a discount towards buying a new top. At which point I told him I would have no problem returning the tank if I would have to pay extra for something that was supposed to come with the large purchase.

I am assuming I will receive a phone call saying something like.."well sorry, we have no proof you didnt get the lid so SOL." In which I'll return the tank...then of course I will get "well you cant return this with no lid." UGH. Rarely go to petsmart cept for hay...but this really had me kickng a bucket and biting my tongue to hold back curse words at the employees. All the more to spend that extra 10minutes to go to the momandpop store.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Sorry to hear about that fuzz. Some people shouldn't be allowed to answer the phones, or work at the place at all. I went to Pet Supplies Plus, and the employees were goofing off, throwing things at one another, and ignored my request for a few fish. The manager had to come out, and he didn't even yell at them. After all of that, I read the receipt and found that the "live guarantee" was only for 2 days!! The fish are doing great, but I was upset at them. Never going there again.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
Ya, its really too bad that one thing can ruin your experiance for the store. I would have gone to the momandpop store but they were a bit preicier on tanks by about 50$...and petsmart's hay is a lot cheaper than the momandpop store, but i don't mind paying an extra 1$ if it means I never have to deal with this again. I am of the age that older people talk down on, calling us lazy and inconsiderate, ect. I agree fully. We are pretty spoiled, the whole US is, and the general publc has lost its sense of humanity and neighborly kindness. It's really too bad.

Levi, my fiance, went up last night to talk to the manager and he called this morning to tell us the top was in, they had overnighted it. So that will most likely be the last dealing I have with petsmart..

I ordered the canister filter too, so when that's here tank will have water in it! woo! so excited...and tired of hearing my daughter cry about her stuffed animals being in a cage lol.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Glad yo got it taken care of, those big box stores are hard to get good service on a routine basis. One day its great the other day you want to drown them in the fish tank!! I am to the point that I only buy all my stuff from the mom and pop except if they are out of a really needed item that cannot wait. The mom n pop store is a little more but they know me by name and they know what type of fish/coral I keep so when they get something really spectacular in they call me and ask if I want them to hold it until I get off work and can come in and see it (They are in the plaza behind my shop).
I was looking at the price of those xp-3's, I cannot believe how much they have gone up in price!!! I bought my last one about a year and a half ago.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I'm just curious - the Aquarium I bought from Petsmart a couple years ago was all packed in one sealed carton. Was yours packed that way? If it was the store would have had no way of knowing if all the components were there and the problem would be with the manufacturer. At that point the manager of the store should have dealt with it promptly - which it sounds like he did once he got the message. Every store is different. The Petsmart I deal with refunds any fish that dies within two weeks - no questions ask. About a year ago I had a couple of fish that died and because it is 30 miles to the store, I wasn't about to make a special trip. I froze them. When we went shopping, I put their little bag in the cup holder in the car. We stopped at another store first and my hubby, who is a neat freak, thought it was garbage and I didn't notice he picked them up. So we got to Petsmart and my dead fish were gone! He was terribly embarrassed. I really wasn't expecting anything, but I told the employee I was dealing with what had happened, I had the original receipt. He spoke to the manager and I got my fish replaced! I don't like the Petco in Olympia, but I was in one when we were camping in Oregon and it was really nice. I gathered together about $20 worth of stuff. Hubby paid and I headed for the truck. A couple of days later when we unpacked at home, I couldn't find it. We decided neither one of us had picked it the merchandise we had paid for, but we had a receipt. I called the store. They said the manager wasn't in, but they took my phone number. He called me back and we discussed the best way to handle the problem because of the distance. He promptly sent me a gift certificate for the amount with a personal note. Any store, or business for that matter, is only as good as its manager - but the manager has to know the problem.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Good point Thyra! I have been in Management since 1991 and I know it can be a though position to be in when there is a problem. Its hard to get good managers these days, since owning a business this is the most daunting task. You need someone firm, fair, and understanding. They also need skills to allow them to know if the customer is sincere or just flat out lying. Most Good/Seasoned Managers know that if the customer has one excuse after another that the customer is most likely full of it but, on the other hand if they stick to the same concern and the same couple points then most likely its the truth. Also managers are under enough stress already so when they can have a nice calm conversation the results are usually very fast and in the customers favor.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
It was a floor tank, so not boxed in or anything. The employee who worked in fish knew the top wasnt in there, and the manager knew that but they didnt want to pay the extra i guess to get me a new one. i will be going to momandpop store from now on...its a good guy there and id rather support the little guy.

And mine is strict about replacing fish, they want to do a water test then say your water wasnt good ect so thats why the fish died. that way they dont have to replace them. i dont even go to petco, they never have anything worth seein.

i was an assist. manager and it always seemd like the other assit. passed me the angry customers. i am good with people though and so a lot of things were settled easily...people who tried to take advantage of a company would not stick to the truth and give up the conversation eventually when they releaized it wasnt gonna be easy. but big companys shouldnt be stingy, even when people are telling the truth they are stingy and sometimes rude. they have the money to spare to replace a 2$ fish...in the end itll ruin them.

Dec 5, 2011
Walla Walla, Washington
I'm glad that the Petco here has friendly staff, and there is even one lady who is there and helps me almost every time I go! The only problem, is the price of some things. A 2.5g, $15. Yikes. I also have a store that's sort of close, called City Zoo pet supplies. They know a bit more about animals than Petco workers, but they don't separate the hamsters by gender, so it is possible that you could take home a pregnant female... :p :p :p :p :p

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Simple solution for the hamsters, lift up they're rump and look. You'll know if it's a male. Then, pregnant females are fatter.

Good luck on the tank fuzz. I was planning on using my 55g beardie tank as an aquarium, but it doesn't hold water. Darn. Lol