Future 55 Gallon Reef Tank

Apr 27, 2012
Pennsylvania
I just received my custom 55 gallon fish tank from Pet Co with an overflow and everything else needed for a reef tank. The tank is now cycling and most levels are good and it has great filtration and lighting. What suggestions could you make in sand, rock, coral, inverts, and fish.

Apr 27, 2012
Pennsylvania
I just received my custom 55 gallon fish tank from Pet Co with an overflow and everything else needed for a reef tank. The tank is now cycling and most levels are good and it has great filtration and lighting. What suggestions could you make in sand, rock, coral, inverts, and fish.

i really want a flame angel but will the eat the corals

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
If you keep it fed it should be ok, I have a coral beauty and it does ok. You need to get your live rock in there. It must cycle with the rock. Also, add the rock before the sand. This way the animals can not undermine the rock and make it fall. Once your live rock and sand is in there if should be 2-4 weeks minimum before it cycles. I like to put a piece of fresh shelled shrimp in the tank to make it cycle faster. Coral will depend on the lighting you have. Be sure to look at reef safe fish as well. Liveaquaria has really good info on SW critters.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I had a Flame Angel in my first tank, he was a pretty good fish, didn't mess with any of the other fish or corals in the tank, I also had a Hippo Tang and a Fox Face, pretty good sized fish. At one point both the Fox Face and the Hippo Tang figued out that they liked the taste of my zoa collection more than the fish food I was feeding them. Soooo out of the tank they came which left the Flame Angel the biggest fish in the tank. He became a terror to all the other fish in the tank. So out of the tank he came also, he was fine as long as he wasn't the biggest in the tank.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
My Tomato clowns and coral beauty keep each other in check in my 40G breeder. I dont that I could have any other fish in there if either species was removed. I have one regular clown that is coming out of there today and is going to go into my 150G with my two other Perc's. My Coral Beauty Angle so far has been a model citizen toward my coral.