Friends for discus

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I keep my discus with Cories, cardinal tetras, and bristlenose plecs. No problems at all. They arn't scared of the school of cardinals at all. I don't think flashy colors would be a problem but i think fish that would acctually nip at the discus or compete with them for food would be a problem.

Generally any kind of small, peacful tetra...i think blackskirts (?) are a no no with discus. But something like neons or cardinals.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Black neon tetras love soft water and a low pH, and if you're tanning your water for discus, the black neons will be in heaven. Also, they're really neat with discus, esp. in a large school.

Edit: C-man, what's the word with black skirts?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Well thats just what i heard. They nip...i guessed at the Black Skirt. I'll look it up or ask someone else to be sure. I'll edit this post.

EDIT: Yeah black skirts just get to rowdy and might want to "play".

Some others i've gathered: Hatchetfish or bleeding heart tetras. Rams or apistos might thrive in the water being kept for discus. Dwarf plecos will be ok, most of the time. Just make sure you don't see any signs of them latching onto the discus (mostly at night).

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How big a tank? Anything that's peaceful, and can handle the high temps is ok in my book. Stingrays look pretty impressive with discus if you have 8 or 10 feet square of tank space.